Picks up for Minerpalooza

The+32nd+Minerpalooza+will+take+place+Friday%2C+Sept.+2%2C+and+will+hold+the+final+round+of+Battle+of+the+Bands+which+include+Melancholy+10%2C+Jamal+Streeter%2C+ACID+WAVE%2C+Low+Perfection%2C+and+Sultanes+Del+Yonke.+
The 32nd Minerpalooza will take place Friday, Sept. 2, and will hold the final round of Battle of the Bands which include Melancholy 10, Jamal Streeter, ACID WAVE, Low Perfection, and Sultanes Del Yonke.

Miner Nation, get ready for Minerpalooza! UTEP’s annual Minerpalooza celebration is returning for its 32nd year Friday, Sept. 2. There is something for everyone at Minerpalooza as it will be filled with a variety of activities, games, music, and more.

It is back and bigger than ever! This Miner event brings the whole UTEP community together to celebrate the community’s Miner spirit.

Admission into Minerpalooza is free for everyone. The event will start in the evening and there will be many activities for all ages. There will also be lots of booths with games to play and prizes to win. A jumping balloon station called Pete’s Playground will be located on the football practice fi eld. For adults 21 and over, there will be a beer and wine garden. Food trucks will also be there to feed the public.

One of the main events of the night will be the final matchup of the Battle of the Bands. Fans watched videos of the five bands who entered and voted to move three bands to the second round. The final three will compete at Texas Western Gold Rush occurring on the first day of school from 7 to 9 p.m Aug. 22. The bands competing include Melancholy 10, Jamal Streeter, ACID WAVE, Low Perfection, and Sultanes Del Yonke. Last year‘s winner was Rivers Ventura who won a check for $2,000.

For some students the battle of the bands is their favorite part about Minerpalooza. Hailey Saenz, a sophomore education major, enjoys the showcasing of local bands.

“I really love listening to the new local artists that perform at the battle of the bands. It’s so cool how much local talent we have here in the sun city. I can’t wait to listen to all of the original music and covers that the bands will play,” Saenz said.

Students like sophomore Maddison Del Toro cannot wait to experience her second Minerpalooza with her friends.

“I had so much fun at last year’s Minerpalooza,” Del Toro said. “My friends and I danced all night to Coolio and The Yin Yang twins. It was our first Minerpalooza as a group and we all can’t wait for this year’s.”

Minerpalooza announced their 2022 headliner as Tequila Rock Revolution Friday Aug. 19. Last year’s lineup made the crowd go wild when Petey Pablo, Coolio, and The Yin Yang Twins rocked the stage. Before that for the 30th Minerpalooza, Jon Pardi performed.

Sophomore Steven Alva is excited to go hang out with his friends at Minerpalooza.

“I am looking forward to having a good time with my friends at Minerpalooza. The entertainment is my favorite part of Minerpalooza,” Alva said.

There is still time for students and community members to volunteer to help at the event.

To find out how to sign up, visit www.utep.edu/student-affairs/minerpalooza/.

Alyson Rodriguez is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]; @alyson_rod1127 on Twitter.