El Paso Chihuahuas fall to Oklahoma City Dodgers

The Prospector File Photo/Gaby Velasquez

The El Paso Chihuahuas (41-34) took on the Oklahoma City Dodgers (47-28) for Pride Night June 30 at Southwest University Park. The Chihuahuas were defeated by the Dodgers with a score of 2-7.  

In celebration of Pride month, several employees at Southwest University Park were seen wearing buttons with the different colors representing the LGBTQ+ community. Limited edition merchandise was also sold in honor of Pride night and the Chihuahuas made a donation of $1,500 to Sun City Pride, the region’s largest recognized lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) organization. 

The first inning was scoreless for both teams. In the second inning things started to heat up when the Dodgers struck first after shortstop Jake Amaya singled a line drive towards Chihuahuas left fielder Taylor Kohlwey, which resulted in first baseman Ryan Noda scoring. This made the score 0-1. Later Dodgers designated hitter Tomás Telis doubled on a line drive towards left field to Kohlwey for Amaya to score, Dodgers were up 0-2.  

The Chihuahuas came answering back at the bottom of the second inning when catcher Brett Sullivan singled on a line drive to Dodgers left fielder James Martin. Bringing it home was third baseman Eguy Rosario who homered on a line drive to left center field to tie the score at 2-2. 

The third and fourth innings remained scoreless for both teams, but the fifth inning was all Dodgers. Setting up the inning for the Dodgers was Avans with a double line drive to center field, which resulted in a visit to the mound for the Chihuahuas. Vargas was up to bat where he doubled on a fly ball to right field, allowing Avans to score. Dodger second baseman Michael Busch doubled to right field on a sharp fly ball which allowed Vargas to score; the Chihuahuas had another mound visit to replace pitcher Matt Waldron with Jose Castillo. The Dodgers did not stop there when right fielder James Outman singled on a line drive to right field for Busch to score, bringing the score to 2-5. 

At the bottom of the fifth inning Ruiz was able to get on base for the Chihuahuas with a fielder’s choice by Dodgers pitcher Dellin Betances. Ruiz stole second base as Kohlwey hit a flyout towards left field, resulting in the Chihuahuas third out.  

In the sixth inning, the Chihuahuas were able to stop the momentum built up by the Dodgers with a double play as Avans grounded toward third allowing Rosario to throw it to shortstop C.J. Hinojosa at second to take out Telis who was at first and Hinojosa threw it to first baseman Michael Cantu for the out on Avans. The bottom of the inning was scoreless for the Chihuahuas as the Dodgers were able to get three straight outs. 

During the seventh inning, the Dodgers brought back the momentum starting with Vargas hitting a double on a fly ball to center field, which was deflected by right fielder Brent Rooker. After that, the Chihuahuas had another pitching change with Jesse Scholtens entering the game. Outman and Amaya were able to extend the Dodgers lead with both players hitting a single to right field, allowing Vargas to score and later Outman to score on the single by Amaya. At the bottom of the inning the Chihuahuas had three straight outs keeping the score at 2-7. 

Both the eighth and ninth innings remained scoreless for both teams, but in the bottom of the eighth the Chihuahuas made an effort to come back. Ruiz hit a single on a soft pop to right field which was deflected by Busch and later Kohlwey hit a single on a bunt ground ball, allowing Ruiz to go to second. Designated hitter Robinson Canó was up to bat with one out and two players on base, he hit a ground ball which resulted in a double play out; he was 0-for-4 during yesterday’s game, which ended his 14-game hitting streak.  

The final score was 2-7. 

The Chihuahuas continues its home stretch against the Oklahoma City Dodger as the two teams meet again at 6:35 p.m., Friday, July 1 at Southwest University Park. 

All stats courtesy of the El Paso Chihuahuas, milb.com/el-paso. 

Katrina Villarreal is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected].