‘Into The Woods’: get lost in the world of theatre

Annabella Mireles
The Tony Award-winning musical “Into the Woods” will be performed at the UTEP Dinner Theatre starting April 22 and will run through May 8.

UTEP’s Dinner Theatre is ready to transport its audience to a magical world filled with fairytale characters and evil spells with its upcoming production “Into the Woods.”

Based on the Broadway musical that premiered in 1987 and not on the 2014 film starring Meryl Streep, Johnny Deep and Emily Blunt, “Into the Woods” is set to enchant the public with its beautiful lyrics and plot.

The Tony Award-winning musical follows a baker and his barren wife who wish to have a child and embark on a magical journey in the woods after being sent by an evil witch trying to reverse the evil spell. They are joined by Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, Rapunzel, and Cinderella through their adventure.

“‘Into the Woods’ is a whimsically enticing visual adventure following the intertwining path of unlikely characters on a journey deep into the darkness and light found only in the woods and features an amazing score by America’s foremost composer of musicals,” said Gregory Taylor, director of the UTEP Dinner Theater.

For more than seven weeks, the cast has been rehearsing, and the production team has been working on the costumes and sets to entertain the public with a rare but modern classic production, according to Taylor.

“The beautiful music and intriguing lyrics by Stephen Sondheim are what set this show apart. Also, the very funny book by James Lapine, which cleverly weaves all the different fairy tales into one beautiful story,” Taylor said.

UTEP’s Dinner Theatre decided to replace its spring production of “Something Rotten” with “Into the Woods” to honor the life and career of composer and lyricist Stephen Sondheim, who died on November 2021.

“When Stephen Sondheim passed away in November, everyone around the world started to announce tribute concerts and productions to honor his life and career achievements,” Taylor said. “I felt as El Paso’s main producer of musical theatre that we should also do something to mark the occasion. I did not want to wait a year to do something, so we decided to replace a show that was already scheduled for this season with a Sondheim show.”

“Into the Woods” has already been produced by the Dinner Theatre 32 years ago in 1991. It was directed by Kerri Harrison and was a great success.

“It is also the most popular and successful of his musicals where he wrote both words and music. All those pieces came together to make ‘Into the Woods’ the best choice for our tribute production,” Taylor said.

Taylor promises the public a funny and clever show filled with beautiful songs and colorful costumes and backdrops.

“The Dinner Theatre set, costume and make-up designers have pulled out all the stops for this one. It will be a beautiful production to watch,” Taylor said.

The production premieres at 7 p.m. Friday, April 22, and runs until Sunday, May 8. Although they have added dates due to popular demand during previous productions, it is still too early to know whether the Dinner Theatre will add new dates.

Ticket options for the “Into the Woods” production include:
– Dinner Performances (reserved tables) at 7 p.m. April 22, 23, 29, 30, and May 6, 7
– Discount Dinner Performances (reserved tables) at 7 p.m. April 27,28, and May 4, 5
– Matinee Discount Dinner Performance (reserved tables) at 1: 30 p.m. April 24
– No Dinner Matinee Performances (general admission) at 2: 30 p.m. May 18.

The menu for dinner performances includes chicken cordon bleu with béchamel sauce, wild rice, spring vegetables, and a garden salad with house dressing. Beverages include coffee and iced tea. Dessert consists of a tiramisu cake.

Tickets are available at the UTEP Ticket Center and online at ticketmaster.com. Prices range from $22.50 to $53.50 plus fees, and students can use their valid UTEP ID to receive a student discount.

“Into the Woods” will recognize the public’s favorite fairy tale characters and portray them in a different light. However, althoug the show is based on fairy tales, it is recommended for mature audiences only and children older than 11 years old.

Victoria Rivas is the arts and culture editor and may be reached at [email protected]; @VicRivas_18 on Twitter