Super Bowl advertisements take the spotlight

One+of+the+Super+Bowl+advertisements+included+athletes+like+Eli+Manning%2C+Jerome+Bettis%2C+Terry+Bradshaw+and+Victor+Crus+supporting+Pepsi+and+Frito-Lay.+
One of the Super Bowl advertisements included athletes like Eli Manning, Jerome Bettis, Terry Bradshaw and Victor Crus supporting Pepsi and Frito-Lay.

The Super Bowl is one of the biggest events every year, and viewers do not only tune in to enjoy the halftime show but to watch advertisements that cost millions of dollars for a 30-second airtime slot. 

For years, the Super Bowl advertisements have incorporated humor, nostalgia and celebrities to captivate the audience’s attention, and this year was no different. 

Most of the advertisements included celebrities promoting products like Budweiser, Uber Eats, Amazon Alexa’s, Planet Fitness, Gillette, Frito Lay and more. 

Although not all commercials were captivating, the best advertisements were unique, included humor, and successfully promoted their product. 

Amazon Alexa’s featured Scarlett Johansson and Colin Jost as they navigate through game day, imagining how their lives would be if Alexa could read their minds. However, they both decide that it is better for Alexa not to read their minds because it would expose their lies to each other and their friends. 

Planet Fitness made its Super Bowl debut with a commercial featuring Lindsay Lohan living a better lifestyle. 

The commercial shows the paparazzi’s crying because Lohan decided to stay in and sleep better than go party. Lohan becomes more productive just by going to the gym. 

Another company that debuted during this year’s Super Bowl is Sam’s Club. The ad featured Kevin Hart as he appeared walking around the store and bragging to customers about how he does not need to wait in line to pay; he simply uses his phone to scan the barcode and checks out immediately. 

Hart is known for using humor, and he did not disappoint in this commercial either. He believes he could skip the line just because he is VIP when in reality, all customers could also check out the same way. 

Frito-Lay aired several commercials throughout the Super Bowl featuring celebrities and athletes like Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Seth Rogen and Paul Rudd. However, their best commercial promoted Flamin’ Hot Cheetos and Doritos. 

The jungle animals taste Doritos and Cheetos, and as they deal with the spiciness, they gain the ability to talk and sing. Megan Thee Stallion, voicing the songbird, starts rapping Salt-N-Pepa’s “Push It.” 

Uber Eats featured cameos by Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Coolidge, Trevor Noah and Nicholas Braun. These celebrities are confused because Uber Eats is now delivering non-edible products like diapers, candles, soap and aluminum foil. 

They start eating these items thinking they must eat them because it is Uber Eats. 

Another commercial that captivated the audience’s attention without using humor but instead promoted inclusivity was Google Pixel 6. 

Lizzo, an award-winning artist, is featured and debuts her song, “If you love me.” 

The ad introduces Google’s Pixel 6 camera with real tone, an algorithm that highlights every skin tone. It brings awareness to how several camera technologies do not work well with darker skin tones. 

Whether it used humor to sell a new product or service, or they used celebrities to invite you to join a better lifestyle, or used the 30 seconds to promote diversity, this year’s Super Bowl ads were entertaining.  

Victoria Rivas is the Arts & Culture Editor and may be reached at [email protected]; @VicRivas_18 on Twitter.