Top five movies to watch on Valentine’s Day

Alberto Silva Fernandez
“10 Things I Hate About You,” “My Bloody Valentine,” “50 First Dates,” “Pride and Prejudice,” and “Julie and Julia” are just a few movies UTEP students voted as their go-to Valentine’s movies.

With Valentine’s Day closing in on the calendar, some may be preparing to spend the day eating chocolate, handing out candy, sending cards, or watching movies while under the covers. Speaking of movies, Valentine’s Day is the day for romcoms and dramas, but does that always have to be true? Well, in this list, we’ll be covering the top five movies to watch during Valentine’s Day.

1.“10 Things I Hate About You” (1999) 

We are starting off this list with an iconic 90s movie many know and love. “10 Things I Hate About You” is a romcom, taking place in Seattle, starring Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger. The film retells  William Shakespeare’s late 16th-century comedy, “The Taming of the Shrew,” making this angsty cult-classic a perfect choice for Valentine’s Day. If you’re into indie rock music, Shakespeare references, advanced vocabulary and teen drama played out in a way that would probably never happen, then this movie is for you. 

2. “My Bloody Valentine” (1981) 

Straying away from the typical rom coms and dramas, this movie celebrates Valentine’s Day with scares and screams. Taking place in the fictional town of Valentine Bluffs, locals fear that a madman who caused a massacre at a Valentine’s party years ago has returned. Starring Neil Affleck and Paul Kelman, “My Bloody Valentine” is your typical ‘80s slasher movie, featuring blood, booze, and a few couples who fall prey to a deranged serial killer on Valentine’s Day. If you’re not into mushy romance movies and want to watch something different this Valentine’s Day, “My Bloody Valentine” is a perfect choice.

3. “50 First Dates” (2004) 

Demanded by popular vote at The Prospector’s social media poll, “50 First Dates” is included as the favorite Valentine’s Day movie. “50 First Dates” is not your typical romcom, as it revolves around a woman with short-term memory loss and a veterinarian who tries to make her fall in love with him every day. Starring Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore, this light-hearted comedy will have you laughing with your loved one this Valentine’s Day. 

4.“Pride and Prejudice” (2005) 

Another movie voted as  their favorite Valentine’s Day movie was “Pride and Prejudice.” Adapted from Jane Austen’s novel of the same name, this film explores the life of Elizabeth Bennet, an Englishwoman living in the countryside with her parents and sisters. Facing pressure to marry by her parents, Elizabeth is introduced to Mr. Darcy, a suave upper-class member of society. Starring Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfayden, this romantic novel adaptation will have you on the edge of your seat. 

5. “Julie and Julia” (2009) 

This movie follows the lives of the world-renowned chef Julia Child, and former Lower Manhattan Development Corporation worker Julie Powell. Although these women grew up in very different ways and eras, they had one thing in common: cooking. Child’s life in Paris, adventure through cooking and writing was played brilliantly by Meryl Streep, along with Amy Adams, who played the food-blogging sensation, Julie Powell.  

Elisha Nunez is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected].