Social media editor sets beginning of internet takeover

Social media has become a part of everyone’s daily lives whether it be scrolling Twitter to find the funniest memes or finding your news through Instagram; It has become vital to our routine more specifically to mine.  

For years, I have been using social media to not only highlight myself and what I do but to invite others into my life, never thinking it could one day be a job position. Social Media only became a ‘job’ for me in the summer of 2021, not knowing it would lead me to the position I am in now, your Audience Engagement Editor.  

Given the opportunity to run multiple social media platforms for local thrift stores across the borderland, has opened the door to a world beyond what you see on your daily feed. From analytics to understanding the power of social media, I knew this was something I wanted to tackle. 

I have never been one to back down from a challenge, no matter the difficulty I strive to do the best that I can do, and I plan to do that here. Having already worked as a staff reporter last semester, I have learned and grown so much as both a writer and person. Opportunities such as interviewing Dolores Anguiano, meeting Beto O’Rourke, a KVIA internship and expanding my horizons here on campus, have allowed me to grow as a journalist. 

Being the oldest of three children, I have always been a leader in my family and hold my standards high, so that my siblings can look up to me and be proud of who their older sister is. Not only trying to be the best version of myself for my siblings but to represent the people who raised me over the past 21 years. 

Without the constant love and encouragement from my parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles I would not be able to do what I do. From being my shoulder to cry on or giving me the best advice, my family has always been the foundation for my success, and I cannot find enough words to thank them for everything they have done for me. They have taught me great lessons and have pushed me to become a better version of myself and helped me get to this point in my journalistic career. 

Along with my family I want to thank my friends near and dear to my heart, who have been a great support system in my journey here at The Prospector. Thank you to the educators I have had over the course of my time in public school and have been a part of my support system even now. 

Being in this position of Audience Engagement Editor, I hope to highlight everything about UTEP, about the trivial things, the important things, and the things you didn’t think you needed to know. UTEP is its own little community and every little thing about it deserves to be seen, with that the only way to do so properly is to have everyone on campus involved. 

I plan to make sure every voice on campus is heard by being more interactive on all social platforms. Making sure you find all your student news quickly on all our platforms and allowing The Prospector to be your number one news source on campus. I cannot wait to see all your follows and shares on all platforms. 

Itzel Giron may be reached at [email protected]; @by.itzel.giron on Instagram; @itzel_anahi_16 on Twitter.