UTEP celebrates LGBTQ History Month

Alberto Silva Fernandez
UTEP’s SELC hosted a photobooth event on National Coming Out Day.

UTEP’s Student Engagement and Leadership Center (SELC) and the Inclusion and Advocacy program are celebrating Queer History Month by hosting Queertober events.  

“Queertober is the way that we celebrate Queer History Month, which is October, at UTEP. We were trying to find ways to engage queer students, teach them about different topics, as well as having some fun,” said Daisy Marquez, Leadership Inclusion and Advocacy Coordinator and Event Planner for Queertober.  

The program kicked off with a photobooth event from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday, Oct. 11, at the Union Plaza, to celebrate the 33rd anniversary of National Coming Out Day. 

Tuesday, Oct. 26, at 12 p.m. SELC will host a panel, Coming Out or Allowing People In, at the Tomas Rivera Conference Center, Union East 3rd Floor. The panel will consist of three Queer Student Alliance (QSA) members speaking about how to change the narrative and have the power to open up to others.  

“Coming out is a very special time in a queer person’s life, it’s a big moment. However, I feel like, slowly, we’re getting to the point where we allow people in,” said Marquez. 

On Oct. 27, there will be a few activities taking place at the Union Plaza: from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m., they will be hosting Queernival, a collaboration with Campus Engagement. The tabling event which will feature Borderland Rainbow Center, Queer Student Alliance at UTEP, Frontera Folx, ASP Cares, and Sun City Pride. At 12 p.m. they will host a drag show, featuring confirmed performers Lavender Thug, Gagaboy, Melina DeAcero, Salem Ofox, Fish the Clown, and Rosita according to Marquez. They will also offer HIV testing at the event for anyone interested. 

“My goal with Queertober is to create a safe space for queer students on campus, whether they may be out or not, it’s allowing them to know their university cares for them,” Marquez said.  

For students seeking resources, UTEP has the Queer Student Alliance, a supportive group, and the Counseling Center in the Union. In El Paso, you can find resources for the LGBTQ community at Borderland Rainbow Center, Sun City Pride, ASP Cares, and Frontera Folx, all of whom will be tabling during Queernival.  

“It is our opportunity to celebrate queer students, educate queer students, or anybody who would like to learn a little bit more about the queer community,” said Marquez. 

The Inclusion and Advocacy program will host a Rainbow Miner Graduation 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 11, at the Tomas Rivera Conference Center. The event is a cording  ceremony that celebrates students of the LGBTQ community that are graduating. The event is open to all graduating students, members of the LGBTQIA2S+ community, and their two guests. For more information, visit the event listing on Minetracker. 

Kristen Scheaffer is a Contributor and can be reached at [email protected]