UTEP Career Center celebrates Graduate Education Week

The Career Center of the University of Texas at El Paso celebrated Graduate Education Week Sept. 29 through Oct. 1 with a series of events inviting students interested in pursuing advanced degrees to attend.     

On Sept. 29, Lou Herman, Ph.D., Writing Center Director, helped students write an effective personal statement for their applications, which is an essential piece for admission into most universities.  

Also, Shannon Connelly, Ph.D., Assistant Dean of the Graduate School, provided an overview of where to find internal and external financial opportunities for graduate school on Sept. 30.    

On Oct. 1, Ms. Brenda Barrios, Assistant Director for Outreach and Recruitment of the UTEP Graduate School, presented to students the different benefits that a graduate degree would provide throughout their lives and careers. Barrios also explained how to prepare application materials, followed by a Q&A panel with UTEP alumni who shared their experiences and professional career paths.  

In addition, the UTEP Career Center hosted an on-campus and virtual Graduate Professional Schools Fair on Oct. 6-7 from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. welcoming universities across the United States and the UTEP Graduate School.  

UTEP students were able to meet with representatives of graduate & programs, law schools, and medical professions programs Oct. 6 on the third floor of the Union Building East.The University of Texas at Austin School of Law, Texas A&M University School of Public Health, and Baylor College of Medicine were among the list of schools in attendance.  

The UTEP Career Center hosted the second day of Graduate Education Week virtually Oct. 7 through Job Mine.   

The Harvard Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara – School of Medicine, and Michigan State University College of Law were invited to the virtual fair.   

During the second session, UTEP students learned about admission requirements for Graduate School and exposed them to educational opportunities available to them after graduation.   

Currently, the UTEP Graduate School oversees more than 100 master’s degree programs and certificates, as well as 22 doctoral programs.  

The UTEP Graduate School also offers resources for undergraduates preparing to enter graduate school, postdoctoral fellows in residence, and those who supervise these emerging scholars.  

During the State of the University Address presentation on Sept. 21, UTEP President Heather Wilson announced that the number of doctoral students at UTEP had increased eight percent since last year’s numbers. 

Furthermore, President Wilson said that UTEP now has more than 800 Ph.D. students enrolled and one new proposal for a Sociology Ph.D.  

“UTEP is a public research university. We don’t just transmit knowledge; we create new knowledge,” Wilson said. “That’s why our strategic goal is to advance research, scholarship, and artistic expression with emphasis on areas of current and emerging strength.”   

For more information about opportunities for UTEP students pursuing a graduate degree visit https://www.utep.edu/student-affairs/careers/