UTEP brings back its traditional SGA pageant

Lupita+Sanchez+walks+down+the+aisle+during+the+SGA+Homecoming+pageant+on+September+24%2C+2021+
Alberto Silva Fernandez
Lupita Sanchez walks down the aisle during the SGA Homecoming pageant on September 24, 2021

UTEP’s Student Government Association (SGA) kicked off homecoming week by hosting its annual SGA pageant, after it was postponed from last year’s fall semester.  

The pageant took place  Friday, Sept. 24, with free admission to the public at the Magoffin Auditorium. The theme of this year’s homecoming was The Roaring ’20s.  

The pageant included a special opening performance by Jordan Taylor, entertainment by the UTEP Dance Team and BoDel Dance Company, along with the Eastwood Saltatrix, a candidate talent competition, and a candidate evening wear attire competition.  

“It felt amazing., I was so excited to do this event.” said Jordan Taylor, who performed a cover of “Habits” by Postmodern Jukebox for the pageant’s opening performance. “It’s been over a year since I’ve last performed live, so not only was it exciting for that reason but I was also surrounded by so many welcoming and talented people there.” 

The SGA homecoming royalty court include Mr. and Ms. UTEP Majesty who also receive a $250 student scholarship award, Mr. and Ms. Texas Western Royale and finally Mr. and Ms. College of Mines Regal.  

The 2021 homecoming royalty court winners include:  

Ms. UTEP Majesty: Taelor Molina 

Mr. UTEP Majesty: Lorenzo Leyva 

Ms. Texas Western Royale: Jacqueline Lechuga 

Mr. Texas Western Royale: Manuel Solis  

Ms. College of Mines Regal: Adriana Olivas  

Mr. College of Mines Regal: Javier De La Hoz   

“I felt very honored to even be considered a judge! I was very excited to see everyone’s school spirit and see what everyone brought to the table,.” said  Emilia Zubia, a judge during the pageant and former student. “My favorite part was definitely the Q and A’s. I loved hearing everyone’s goals and aspirations and trying to find a way of how I can help to achieve them!” 

For nearly 30 years , the homecoming pageant has become  one of UTEP’s most notable homecoming  traditions. Last year’s pageant was postponed because the  COVID-19 pandemic prevented large gatherings. Homecoming allows Miners to connect with others and immerse themselves in the UTEP spirit. 

“I think it’s cool. It definitely allows students to meet again, face-to-face and reconnect with each other and meet other people, which we severely lacked in the last year-and-a-half,.” said Lizzie Cameron, a 19-year-old UTEP student majoring in multimedia journalism and advertising. “So I think it’s a really good experience, especially for the incoming freshmen. They actually get to have a college experience, which is good for them.” 

Elisha Nunez may be reached at [email protected]