UTEP Rec Center presents first-ever Late Night at the Rec

Photo+Credits%3A+Student+Recreation+Center+
Photo Credits: Student Recreation Center

On Friday, Aug. 20, many UTEP groups will host events to welcome UTEP Miners back on campus. One of the events includes the first-ever Late Night at the Rec at the UTEP Recreation Center at 8 p.m., Aug. 20. The event ends at midnight, and is free to all UTEP students, faculty, staff, alumni, family, friends, kids and guests.  

There is something for everyone at this celebration. Activities include a Mega Dodgeball tournament, extreme archery, Smash Bros tournament, 3-on-3 laser tag, dancing, inflatables, Sumo wrestling, Xtreme bull riding, intramural sports tournament and more. There will be free giveaways and prizes. Don’t forget to bring your swimsuit for the water volleyball tournament. Attendees can enjoy free food, drinks, and music. People who attend will also have access to the rec center that evening for an after-hours workout session.  

The student rec center has hosted several after-hours events over the summer in order to get students involved in their school and interact with their fellow peers. Some of the events included clubbing at the SRC, glow climb, the Titan Games, pool Olympics, super yoga, spring fest, hiking trips in the Franklin Mountains and Paradise at the Rec. It also showed movies such as “Teen Beach Movie” on University Field and has hosted an outdoor cycling course in the evening. Some upcoming events include soccer intramurals occurring Sept. 7 through 22 and soccer pong intramurals happening Sept. 13 through 21. 

“I like how there’s so much different activities. I missed going to things like that, this will be a first experience of a university event like that for many of us,” said Karla Garcia, a 19-year-old microbiology major at UTEP. “It sounds like a great time and students will be safe and make good memories.” 

Before Late Night at the Rec, the Office of International Programs (OIP) will host a barbecue 5-7 p.m. at University Field, located behind the UTEP Student Recreation Center, 3450 Sun Bowl Drive. The OIP will also “Guac your World!” 6-8 p.m. at the Student Rec Center.  Mexican cuisine favorites such as discada, jicama, frijoles and fruit popsicles will be served. These events are not exclusive to international students; all are welcomed. Attendees must bring their Miner Gold Card in order to check in at the event. 

“I think it’s really good for them. They’re barely starting the semester and getting back in person,” said Gabriela Acosta, a teacher for Socorro Independent School District and mother of a UTEP student. “It’s good for them to meet new people. It’s good that they can make new friends and socialize with one another. I think it’s very positive actually.” 

These events are all a part of the Miner Welcome week, beginning Aug. 19 and ending Sept. 4. More upcoming events include the Texas Gold Rush on Aug. 23, Health and Wellbeing fair on the 25, Roller skating on the plaza, Minerpalooza on the 28 and so much more, all leading up to the first UTEP home football game.  

To sign up for these events or to see future events go online to minetracker.utep,edu, and follow the UTEP rec center on Instagram @utep_recsports to find out more information.  

Alyson Rodriguez may be reached at [email protected]; @alyson_rod1127 on Twitter.