Minerpalooza returns to UTEP’s campus Friday

Over a year since the coronavirus pandemic forced UTEP to cancel Minerpalooza and a host of other events meant to bring students together, businesses and establishments have begun reopening to the public. 

UTEP has also made a full return, beginning with the comeback of the longtime campus tradition, Minerpalooza at 6-11 p.m. Friday, Aug. 27, in the Glory Road 2 (GR2) parking lot north of Sun Bowl Stadium. This 31-year-old school festival is complete with vendors, games and performances from hip-hop stars Coolio, Ying Yang Twins, and Petey Pablo. There will also be an unprecedented Battle of the Bands act. This surprising twist on the festival signals an exciting welcome to students who haven’t been able to attend their campus for the past year and for incoming freshmen who have yet to experience the college lifestyle. 

In addition to the headlining performances, the university’s athletic teams, UTEP’s marching band, Paydirt Pete, the university spirit teams, coaches and UTEP President Wilson will all be making an appearance to boost Miner pride and drum up excitement for the coming football season. Festival booths and activities hosted by the university’s registered student organizations  will also be present, contributing to fundraising for campus initiatives. The celebration will also feature Pete’s Playground for children along with a beer and wine garden for guests 21 and over. 

Students and others are excited for the return of this campus custom to welcome them back to school after being forced to stay home for a year. 

One of those students is Claudia Gil, a 19-year-old chemical engineering major at UTEP. Gil said she is excited about the new Battle of the Bands performance at this year’s Minerpalooza,  

“You get to see a lot of the talent that El Paso has to offer,” Gil said. “Even though it might not be like, I guess, what would be considered bigger artists, it’s totally cool being able to see the community coming together and showing off the talents that they were given.” 

For this year’s return of Minerpalooza, the university has been focused on promoting the  Battle of the Bands. For this performance, UTEP gives the power to the people by allowing students and others to vote for which artist they believe should perform at the festival. By visiting the Minerpalooza page on the university’s website then clicking on the Battle of the Bands banner, users are allowed to watch the artists perform and then determine who is worthy of their vote. The artists competing for a performance at Minerpalooza are Coco Butter, Le Voyage, Rivers Ventura, Tony Jupiter and Soul Parade, all of whom are local talent making their debuts in the Sun City. 

“I think it’s great that we are having Minerpalooza again since it is giving many students a sense of normalcy,” said Neftali Reyes, a 19 year-old UTEP student majoring in biological sciences. “The Battle of the Bands is even better since we get to see and learn new artists.”   

With the Battle of the Bands making its premiere at this year’s Minerpalooza, students and others alike will be sure to enjoy their welcome back to campus.