Two UTEP students elected to Peer-Led Team Learning International Society board

Kaleigh+Love%2C+left%2C+and+Sofia+Delgado%2C+two+undergraduate+students+at+The+University+of+Texas+at+El+Paso%2C+were+elected+to+the+Peer-Led+Team+Learning+International+Society+%28PLTLIS%29+board+of+directors+during+the+society%E2%80%99s+virtual+annual+conference%2C+which+was+hosted+by+the+University.+
Courtesy photos
Kaleigh Love, left, and Sofia Delgado, two undergraduate students at The University of Texas at El Paso, were elected to the Peer-Led Team Learning International Society (PLTLIS) board of directors during the society’s virtual annual conference, which was hosted by the University.

The nationally recognized organizations of UTEP have produced numerous accomplished alumni. UTEP students Sofia Delgado and Kaleigh Love have been elected to the board of directors for the Peer-Led Team International Society. Established in Atlanta, Georgia in 2011, the PLTLIS is an organization that strives to foster student learning through peer-led teams by supporting practitioners and institutions. The group is for academics majoring in chemistry, computer science, biology, physics, psychology, mathematics, and other STEM majors.  

PLTLIS focuses on strengthening the educating and leadership skills of college students. This is done through workshops and participating in group training. The workshops are held weekly for two hours with groups of six to eight students. Students also participate in group projects and learn about the latest advancements in STEM education. The professional educators and undergraduate peer leaders of the PLTLIS represent 24 institutions across 11 states in the U.S. and four countries.  

Sofia Delgado majors in Biochemistry and Kaleigh Love majors in biology with a Biomedical concentration. They were elected by their peers in the organization to join the board of directors. As board members, they will voice the concerns of their fellow peer leaders and will represent hundreds, enriching a program that empowers students. 

“Sofia and I were elected by the other Peer Leaders based on our resumes and statements provided at the end of the 2021 PLTLIS conference”, said Love. “I’m looking forward to helping the PLTLIS promote its mission to positively impact more students and institutions around the world through Peer-Lead Team learning.” 

Delgado joined the organization last year and says that being elected to the board of directors has been a rewarding experience, “It’s been really great to see my dedication pay off and very rewarding to see some of the fruits of our labor. I am motivated to make my fellow peers proud and to deliver my best work!” said Delgado. 

Being part of the PLTLIS will help her in her future endeavors.  

“I’m currently a junior in Biochemistry. After I graduate, I hope to enroll into medical school and study to be a neurologist. I also hope to contribute to research on Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease”, Delgado said.  

Delgado says she is excited to start her journey as a member of the board and has many plans to improve the organization. She is ready to start this new chapter in her college career and to learn from her new position and fellow members.  

To learn more about the PLTLIS organization or to join their group, visit its website . 

Alyson Rodriguez may be reached at [email protected]; @alyson_rod1127 on Twitter.