UTEP to allow full capacity for all sporting events

File Photo/Priscilla Gomez
Miners fans cheer at the football game against Houston Baptist Huskies. Aug. 31, 2019.

UTEP Athletics Director, Jim Senter, announced Friday that all UTEP sporting events for the 2021-2022 season are set to return to 100% capacity.

During the 2020 season, UTEP Athletics was forced to only allow a certain number of fans at each sporting event due to COVID-19 safety restrictions.

“We are excited to announce full capacity at our events for the upcoming year,” Senter said. “We will continue to prioritize health and safety while ensuring our venues are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized.”

Senter explains that everyone attending the games feel safe as attendance returns to full capacity. “We can’t wait to welcome Miner Nation back to create a home-field advantage for our coaches and student-athletes, while we also realize how excited our fans are to see the Miners play in person in 2021,” Senter said. “I’d like to thank our fans for their patience and support throughout the past year and we’re looking forward to seeing everyone come August.”

UTEP President Heather Wilson announced in May that face coverings would no longer be required on the UTEP campus, including all indoor and outdoor spaces, in accordance with an Executive Order issued by Texas Governor Greg Abbott. However, face coverings are highly recommended for those who have not been vaccinated to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.

Although many are excited about the capacity returning to 100%, there are still some concerns. “In regard to UTEP sports returning to 100% capacity, I think all those attending should do so with caution, especially those who are not vaccinated,” said UTEP student Hannah Lyon. “I think returning to normal occupancy will help to uplift not only students’ but community spirits, as long as it’s done carefully and cautiously.”

Tailgating on UTEP football game days will also be making a return. A newly updated map indicating where fans can park and tailgate may be viewed at https://utepminers.com/documents/2021/6/10/2021_Football_Parking_Map_2_.pdf?id=23250

The UTEP Football season begins Saturday, Aug. 28, with the season opener against New Mexico State University (Aggies) in Las Cruces with the “Battle of I-10.”

UTEP Football’s home opener versus Bethune-Cookman is set to take place 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 4, at the Sun Bowl stadium. Season tickets for the upcoming football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball, volleyball and soccer are now available.

Katrina Villarreal may be reached at  [email protected]