Are you going to be surfing the web or the waves this summer?

Pumpkin patches open despite pandemic

Photo by Claudia Hernandez
Although the coronavirus pandemic has put a halt to many activities throughout the year, La Union Maze and Mesilla Valley Maze will be up and running this season with some restrictions.

Editor’s Note: Headline was updated at 09:27 p.m.

As the summer ends and the new season begins, fall enthusiasts can celebrate the beginning of pumpkin spice everythingwith limited activities at local pumpkin patches and corn mazes.  

Although the coronavirus pandemic has put a halt to many activities throughout the year, La Union Maze and Mesilla Valley Maze will be up and running this season with some restrictions. La Union Maze, one of the most popular mazes located in La Union, New Mexico, will not feature its iconic haunted maze this year. However, the maze will still offer a variety of activities for guests to partake in like pumpkin picking, where guests pick their own pumpkins 

Guests can pick from a variety or can opt for a random selection of pumpkins by “Farmer’s Choice”. The bundles come in 50, 100, 150 or 200-pound sizes. 

Guests who would like more variety in pumpkins should choose the “specialty pumpkins” section on La Union’s website. All pumpkins come in small, medium or large sizes, with prices ranging on weight. The pumpkins available are Monster’s smash, Grower’s giant, Fairytale, Marina Di Chioggia, Porcelain doll, New Moon, and Blue Doll. Gourds, corn stalks and hay bales can also be bought. 

In order to attend, visitors must reserve a spot through the maze’s website, and purchase tickets at $20 per vehicle, plus a $2 fee.  

If guests do not wish to go to the location to pick their pumpkins, pumpkins can be bought online with the option of delivery or pick-up to ensure safe social distancing. 

Virtual pumpkin field trips are also offered to schools for groups of 50 or more students at La Union. The package costs $3.50 per student and is available through Oct. 16. The package includes a video and interactive explanation on how pumpkins are grown, activity sheets and a small pumpkin for each student with ideas on how to decorate the squash. 

La Union will be open to visitors until Nov. 1 on   Friday, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.  

The Mesilla Valley Maze located in Las Cruces, New Mexico will also offer guests activities, to ensure seasonal fun for all. 

“As 2020 has been an unpredictable year due to the coronavirus pandemic, we have had to make the difficult decision to limit what we can safely offer to the public. It may not be the same, but we’re still here,” was written in the Mesilla Valley Maze Facebook page. 

Most of their activities are suspended but patrons can shop at the country store or buy pumpkins at the pumpkin junction. The “How tall this Fall” gauge will be available, along with other fall backdrops, that can be used for pictures.  

Admission is free and will  be open starting Oct. 2 from Friday through Sunday at 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.  

Exodis Ward may be reached at [email protected]; @alexodislee on Twitter.