Letter from the editor: Reporting during drastic changes

Photo illustration by Valeria Olivares

For more coverage on COVID-19 and its impact on UTEP, El Paso, the state and the nation, visit The Prospector’s Coronavirus page.

Dear Miners, 

The entire world has been thrown into chaos, and we are all slowly adjusting. Dealing with a pandemic, the border shutting down and classes being shifted to online caught most of us off guard; it has been a series of drastic changes. 

Regardless, The Prospector has been working tirelessly in this fast-paced news cycle, reporting and publishing stories on everything going on at the university and the bordering cities of El Paso and Ciudad Juárez, Mexico — to keep you, our reader, fully informed in this time of uncertainty. 

For the remainder of the semester, just like our classes, The Prospector will only publish online, and print editions will not be distributed across campus. We will still attempt to have a physical copy of the graduation edition and the department of Student Media and Publications is working out the details. Although we are saddened to not print a physical copy of our work, we will continue to strive for excellence, accuracy and humanity as we produce digital content. 

Now more than ever, we need the UTEP community to reach out to us; we want to keep you informed during this unprecedented situation and we want to hear from you. If you have questions or tips that you want answered and covered, let us know by emailing us at [email protected] or sending us a direct message through social media. 

As we report remotely, we expect to run into challenges, but that is nothing new for us. As UTEP students and binational citizens, we have been taught how to be resourceful. 

Feel free to reach out to me directly.  

Best, 

Valeria Olivares, editor in chief, [email protected]