Officials report second positive case of COVID-19 in El Paso County

For more coverage on COVID-19 and its impact on UTEP, El Paso, the state and the nation, visit The Prospector’s Coronavirus page.

Public health officials reported on a second presumptive positive test result for COVID-19 in El Paso County on Sunday afternoon, only a few days since the county’s first case was reported on Friday.  

The second patient is another man in his 40s and his travel history, along with places he has come in contact with, is currently under investigation, health officials announced in a news conference Sunday. 

The man remains hospitalized while officials investigate. 

“News of this case came to us less than an hour before a press conference that had been scheduled days prior,” said Robert Resendes, public health director, in a news release. “This is just an example of how quickly things can change when it comes to this virus and our willingness as public servants to provide accurate information to the public as swiftly as possible.” 

In response to the rapid spread of COVID-19 throughout the country, K-12 schools in El Paso County have been directed to extend their spring break until early April while EPCC and UTEP have extended spring break for one week and will switch to online instruction for the rest of the semester.  

As of March 15 at noon, The Texas Tribune reports on 68 confirmed cases of COVID-19 throughout the state. 

Vital information on how to avoid contracting the disease and prevent its spread is provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on its website. 

Bryan Mena may be reached at [email protected]