Census workshops encourage El Paso to participate

They city of El Paso works to create awareness of the importance of Census 2020.
Courtesy of Wikipedia

UTEP is hosting 2020 Census workshops to inform the community about the decennial survey of the U.S. population.  

Paulina Lopez and Richard Cerros, two partnership specialists with the U.S. Census Bureau, led the first event Thursday, Nov. 7, with information on what the census is, what it does for the community and the goal to get 100 percent of the people to participate on the upcoming census 

“The census is more than a head count. Bresponding to the census, you can shape the future of the community and your life for the next 10 years,” Lopez said. “Benefits  such as education, healthcare, school lunch programs, low-income energy assistance programs  depend on a complete and accurate account. By understanding that critical programs in our communities are based on the count … we’ll communicate the importance (of) participation.”   

The census is a data survey sent out every 10 years that takes information about the countrys population and its economy.  

The information received is protected under Title XIII and Title XXVI of the U.S. code, which states information will never be shared with any other local, state or federal agency and is used strictly for statistical purposes.  

The workshop discussed possible ways to reach the hardest-to-count populations, like children up to age 5, adults aged 18 to 24, people with low English proficiency and immigrants. 

El Paso has been historically undercounted and has a high population of people who fall into those categories. 

With the next census coming up in 2020, there is a chance to get funding for those who need it most. 

“Our goal is 100 percent response. We just want to make sure that El Paso is counted correctly because that’s led to a lot of issues that have plagued our community for years,” Cerros said. “That’s why Paulina, I and other folks are a part of this awesome team making sure we’re developing those partnerships to make sure we hit a high substantial response.” 

More information about the U.S. census can be found at its official website 

Two informational workshops will be held from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 19, at River View Room 102H, and from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov21, at the Desert Canyon Room 102D in UTEP’s Union East Building.  

Exodis Ward may be reached at pro[email protected]