Minerpalooza amps up school spirit for new semester

The audience excited for the performance of the Norwegian duo Lemaitre in 29th annual Minerpalooza at the Sunbowl parking lot, Aug. 30, 2019.

Glenda Avalos

Glenda Avalos

Glenda Avalos

Margaret Cataldi, Staff Reporter

UTEP closed off the first week of the fall semester with the 29th annual Minerpalooza on Friday, Aug. 31.

As part of a long-established school tradition, Minerpalooza did not fall short of delivering all the school spirit needed to kick off the new semester.  

The Miner community enjoyed the night as they explored the multiple food trucks, rows of carnival-style game booths and an exciting lineup.. 

This year’s lineup included performances from James Kennedy, Lemaitre and lovelytheband, among others 

“Our lineup changes every year depending on what the students are looking for, so we always try to stay as current as possible,” said Eliana Grijalvaa member of the Minerpalooza planning committee.  

Minerpalooza also featured new attractions for young adults to enjoy.  

“We had a VIP lounge for the first time this year and we had a sponsor for the Beer and Wine Garden that made the experience a little bit different,” Grijalva said 

Bumble, a dating app, sponsored the VIP lounge while Kendra Scott sponsored the Beer and Wine Gardenproviding a laidback environment in which adults mingled 

Minerpalooza, which has garnered about 30,000 attendees in previous years, also serves as a fundraising opportunity for UTEP clubs and organizations.

“These really big events help promote what we’re doing and what our club represents,” said Nohemi Perales, President of SEEDS Environmental Advocates.  

As an organization that advocates for the protection of the environment, Minerpalooza helped increase its club funds and provided an opportunity for the members to educate people on environmental issues through a funinteractive carnival-style game. 

“What makes us happy is that there’s a lot of children coming over to our both,” Perales said. “The best thing about Minerpalooza is getting the community together, it shows people what El Paso has to offer, what UTEP has to offer and what the students can really do for the community. 

As for next year’s Minerpalooza, there is much to be expected.  

“Next Minerpalooza is gonna be crazy because it is the 30th Anniversary,” Grijalva said. “We wanna make it insane.” 

Margaret Cataldi can be reached at [email protected]