Women of Combat promotes MMA fighters

Special+to+the+Prospector+

Women of Combat promotes MMA fighters

Special to the Prospector

Special to the Prospector

Special to the Prospector

Special to the Prospector

Claudia Flores, Editor in Chief

Women of Combat, an organization that promotes and highlights women in contact sports, is bringing a training seminar to El Paso April 8.

Located in Maple Valley, Washington, the organization supports women in competitive contact sports regardless of whether they are members of the organization.

Nancy Williams, El Paso native and president of the organization, was introduced to mixed martial arts (MMA) at an early age. 

“Growing up, I was exposed to boxing and kickboxing in El Paso, Texas and Cd. Juarez, Mexico,” she said. “I continued to follow these sports until my son got into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and eventually MMA, especially as women became more prevalent in the sport.”

For many fighters, paying bills, promoting themselves, working and training are parts of developing themselves as MMA fighters.

According to an article by MMA Fighting, while sponsorship for the audience is just about the logos, sponsor money means everything for the fighters, as securing them is a turning point for prosperity in their careers.

“I thought there must be a way to sponsor them with minimal time investment on their part and not have to get into an exclusive contract. I passed some of my ideas by some folks and Women of Combat was born,” Williams said.

While the sport is primarily dominated by men, it’s important for Women of Combat to create a space for women to feel included and motivated to be part of the sport according to Williams.

“Early on, it was difficult due to there not being many women to train with or fight against and earning respect that they were serious about the sport,” Williams said. “Currently, the situation has greatly improved especially in the gym environments. But there is still more growth to occur.”

Part of the organization’s mission, is not only to help women economically to get sponsorships or get fights, but to raise awareness that there is an equal chance for women to achieve their dreams Williams said.

“Women need to be aware that the majority of their training partners will be men and usually bigger than them,” Williams said. “They still need to earn respect and show that they are serious about the sport.”

Women of Combat will host a training seminar April 8, led by fighters at various locations in El Paso and Cd. Juárez.

In El Paso, the training locations are Wolves Den, Bushido MMA and Lees Boxing, followed by a sport nutrition and health seminar at FitSource 180.

Castillo’s Team Gym will be the designated location for the training seminar in Cd. Juárez.

For Williams, the opportunity to bring the seminar to the region is all about promoting the fight scene, especially the boxing scene, in the community.

“El Paso that may not be as visible, but there are great gyms training great fighters, providing fitness opportunities, self-defense knowledge and the next generation of martial artists,” Williams said.

For more information about Women of Combat and its upcoming seminar schedule, visit asilindeza.com/womenofcombat.

• Women of Combat promotes MMA fighters

Civil engineering student, professor seek to find parking solutions

• Women of Combat promotes MMA fighters

UTEP Student Government Association hears student concerns on president pick

• Women of Combat promotes MMA fighters

Beto O’Rourke runs for president in 2020

• Women of Combat promotes MMA fighters

Spring break getaways on a budget

• Women of Combat promotes MMA fighters

Safety tips for Travel

• Women of Combat promotes MMA fighters

Sole finalist for UTEP presidency, Heather Wilson, visits university

• Women of Combat promotes MMA fighters

Protest arises from Heather Wilson’s visit

• Women of Combat promotes MMA fighters

UTEP president finalist attracts opposition

• Women of Combat promotes MMA fighters

UT Board of Regents announces finalist for UTEP president

• Women of Combat promotes MMA fighters

Project MOVE celebrates 10 years of giving back

Women of Combat promotes MMA fighters