El Paso’s Finest offers a space for art in Downtown El Paso

Claudia Flores, Editor in Chief

El Paso’s Finest held a reception for its monthly art show Friday, Feb. 22, which featured the work of local artists inspired by the Mexican painter Frida Kahlo.

Located on 314 Mesa St., El Paso’s Finest is a small art store that not only serves as a gallery, but offers weekly painting classes and monthly events for the community.

“I always wanted a store where I could showcase my work, but at the same time when I got the store, I felt we could fill it up with everyone else (work) not just myself,” said owner Ruben Gomez.

As part of its monthly shows, members of the community are encouraged to exhibit their artwork, whether they are amateurs or professionals. El Paso’s Finest opens its doors to any artist who wishes to sell their work.

The Frida Kahlo theme filled El Paso’s Finest’s gallery for “Viva La Frida” night and included paintings using different techniques, cookies, stickers, keychains and other items made by locals.

“We are in this whole movement of women’s empowerment, and Frida Kahlo was big on women and having the power and doing things on her own, so we went ahead and did an event on her,” Gomez said.

Submissions work on a first-come, first-serve for the artists, Gomez said.

“It’s just an open call to artists. I don’t judge their work, because who am I to judge someone’s art? So if the spot is open, it’s theirs,” Gomez said.

Illustrator and fine artist Moises Garcia was one of many artists to submit his work. He entered two paintings, one of them representing Frida and her ghosts, he said.

Garcia said these gatherings are important not only for incoming artists to exhibit their work, but to bring the El Paso community together. Garcia is a painting instructor at El Paso’s Finest and said art is not only something beautiful for people to see and appreciate, but a way of communication.

“Art is just as important as the news and the radio,” Garcia said. “Back in the day it was all art that communicated to people, and it’s still a way of communication that hasn’t been lost. It’s super important to have art especially in the community.”

Business owner and stay-at-home mom Rebeca Martinez submitted a painting of Frida for the show. She said being part of the art scene opened doors to not only know more about art, but to get to know more about the art scene in El Paso.

“I know there’s a lot of talent here in El Paso and there were a lot of artists I wasn’t aware of before, until I started painting myself and selling my art at the markets, because that’s when you really get to meet people from the community,” Martinez said.

Even though Martinez is an amateur painter, she said she is excited to be part of the art community and encourages other artists to come forward to showcase their work.

“Don’t be afraid. You can see your mistakes, but everyone else sees the beauty in your work and that’s what matters in the end,” Martinez said.

For information on El Paso’s Finest and its monthly art shows, visit Facebook.com/shopepfinest.

• El Paso’s Finest offers a space for art in Downtown El Paso

DesignHaus highlights seniors

Graduate Amy Miller masters the cello

Goodbye, UTEP. It’s been real.

Dance seniors present final project performances

Slayer plays final show in El Paso

‘Oedipus El Rey’ a modern-day ‘Oedipus Rex’

Neon Desert Music Festival 2019 Profile Series: Roman Rouge

Neon Desert Music Festival 2019 Profile Series: Pet People

Find fashion on a budget

Peek at the Fashion behind the curtain