UTEP Food Pantry is now open for all  

Catherine Ramirez, Contributor

The UTEP Food Pantry, located at the concession stands in Memorial Gym, is now open for all UTEP faculty and students following its move from the Union West Building.  

The pantry opened on Oct. 15, at its new location with a large variety of non-perishable food items and toiletries for those in need.

“The goal and mission for the UTEP food pantry is to provide food for students that have food insecurity,” said Fabian Vasquez, an employee at the food pantry.

When students or faculty arrive at the food pantry they will be asked to show their Miner Gold Card and will be presented with a menu. The food pantry menu lists all food and toiletries available at the pantry.

The food items available at the pantry include canned vegetables, canned meats, beans, soup, cereal, granola bars, peanut butter, small snacks and other items for meals. For those who are in need of toiletries, the food pantry carries toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, shampoo, lotion, soap, conditioner, and feminine pads and tampons.

“Students who have a need for food often have a need for other resources and services,” said Catie McCorry-Andalis, Ed.D., Associate Vice President and Dean of Students, who manages the food pantry.

When ordering food or toiletries from the pantry there is no limit per person per order, allowing students to order as much as they need.

“People can come in and order for the day or they can order for the week so they don’t have to come back,” said Dan Cruz, an employee at the food pantry

Those that use the food pantry will remain anonymous at the new location and all who need assistance are encouraged to visit the pantry.

“We also take students who are inactive. For example if you are not enrolled during the summer semester but you’ll be attending the fall semester we will still accept you,” Vasquez said. “We don’t turn down anyone.”

The move of the food pantry comes after new management takeover from the Dean of Students Office. The goal of the move was to create a larger and more accessible food pantry for UTEP students.  

“This new site will allow us to service more people and give much more food,” McCorry-Andalis said.

The pantry is expected to attract more students due to Memorial Gym’s surrounding parking lots and will need assistance to keep it stocked for all Miners.

The pantry is launching Scare Away Hunger, a donation initiative created for the month of October. Everyone is invited donate canned or packaged non perishables in order help the pantry reach their goal of collecting 1,000 items.

There are food drive boxes located around campus accepting donations. The food drive boxes can be found at the Food Pantry in Memorial Gym, the main lobby in the Library, the first floor hallway in the UGLC, the Dean of Students Office the Union West Building, the Union East Building near the Health and Wellness Center and the Enrollment Services office at the Mike Loya Academic Services Building .

Currently, the pantry is in most need of canned meats, cereal, soups, pasta, peanut butter and jelly, rice, beans and tomato sauce but is accepting all canned and packaged non- perishables .

The UTEP Food Pantry accepts food donations year around and is now accepting monetary donation online at www.utep.edu/foodpantry

The food pantry is open Monday through Friday.

Monday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Tuesday: 8:00 a.m. -5:00 p.m.

Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Thursday: 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. / 12:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

• UTEP Food Pantry is now open for all  

I Photographed Juárez for National Geographic

• UTEP Food Pantry is now open for all  

UTEP promotes diversity through food

• UTEP Food Pantry is now open for all  

Campaign launched to honor President Natalicio, ‘Thank You for 30’

• UTEP Food Pantry is now open for all  

Smoking still prevalent on UTEP campus

• UTEP Food Pantry is now open for all  

Frontera

Estudiantes cruzan a diario

• UTEP Food Pantry is now open for all  

Good things to come from midterms

• UTEP Food Pantry is now open for all  

Dousa premiers Five Desert Portraits

• UTEP Food Pantry is now open for all  

NPR’s Susan Stamberg stops for a one-night appearance in El Paso

• UTEP Food Pantry is now open for all  

Streetcar Inauguration kicks off in downtown El Paso

• UTEP Food Pantry is now open for all  

Students gather on campus to watch midterm election results

UTEP Food Pantry is now open for all