NFL Fantasy football starts and sits for week 6

The abridged version of your favorite fantasy advice column is here

Here are the players you should start or sit during week 6.

Editor’s note: Eddie Velazquez is a football fan with very little to do other than consistently check the waiver wire. He wants to give his dad a big shout out for coming up with the “Showtime Mahomes” nickname before it became a comfort food-type term for sportswriters across America. He is also playing for sums of money he has only seen once in his life. Wish him luck on twitter @ezvelazquez…and I guess also send him your fantasy questions there.

Quarterback start of the week: Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks (vs Oakland Raiders).

Wilson is coming off a spectacular performance against a vaunted Rams defense netting 19.9 points in standard scoring. I like this matchup against a Raiders team that has a -4 turnover differential, according to NFL.com.  

Other QB starts: Kirk Cousins, Minnesota Vikings (vs Atlanta Falcons). Jared Goff, Los Angeles Rams (at Denver Broncos). Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons (vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers).

Quarterback sit of the week: Phillip Rivers, Los Angeles Rams (at Cleveland Browns)

The Browns defense at home is just too good to recommend the bolo tie virtuoso this week. Surprisingly, Cleveland is only allowing 7.99 fantasy points per game to opposing quarterbacks, according to NFL.com.

Other QB sits: Derek Carr, Oakland Raiders (at Seattle Seahawks). Marcus Mariota, Tennessee Titans (vs Baltimore Ravens). Blake Bortles (at Dallas Cowboys).

Running back start of the week: Sony Michel, New England Patriots (vs Kansas City Chiefs)
Michel has quietly been piling up fantasy numbers for savvy owners for the last two weeks now. He is bound to get the bulk of the carries with Rex Burkhead out of the picture and with James

The other factor at play here is Kansas City’s defense, which according to Pro Football Focus (PFF) is allowing 188 from scrimmage per game to opposing running backs this year.

Other RB starts: Marshawn Lynch, Oakland Raiders (at Seattle Seahawks). James White, New England Patriots (vs Kansas City Chiefs). Seahawks running backs (vs Oakland Raiders ).

Running back sit of the week: Alex Collins, Baltimore Ravens (at Tennessee Titans)

The Titans defense has been one of the most underrated units in the NFL over the last three weeks. They have limited teams like the Eagles and the Jags to very little offensive production and according to NFL.com, they still haven’t allowed a touchdown to a running back all year.

On the Ravens side of things, Collins has simply just abandoned his role as the lead back in this offense. According to PFF, Javorius Allen has taken his last four carries within the five-yard line for three scores, while Collins hasn’t found the end zone in his last four touches near the goal line.

Other RB sits: Adrian Peterson, Washington Redskins (vs Carolina Panthers). Kenyan Drake, Miami Dolphins (vs Chicago Bears). Derrick Henry, Tennessee Titans (vs Baltimore Ravens).

Wide receiver start of the week: DeSean Jackson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (at Atlanta Falcons)

This game is going to be a shootout so fantasy assets on both teams are all startable-—sans maybe the Tampa Bay running backs. I am going with DeSean Jackson here because Desmond Trufant will take the assignment on Mike Evans and has had 16 PPR in his first three out of four games.

Other WR starts: Robert Woods, Los Angeles Rams (at Denver Broncos). Sammy Watkins, Kansas City Chiefs (at New England Patriots). Tyler Boyd, Cincinnati Bengals (vs Pittsburgh Steelers).

Wide receiver sit of the week: Devin Funchess, Carolina Panthers (at Washington Redskins)

The Carolina passing game hasn’t been a very explosive unit at all this year. They average 210.75 passing yards a game and their leading receiver is running back Christian McCaffrey (27). Funchess is second in the pecking order with 18 and could see even less snaps in the red zone if tight end Greg Olsen ends up playing in this game.

Other WR sits: Kenny Stills, Miami Dolphins (vs Chicago Bears). Corey Davis, Tennessee Titans (vs Baltimore Ravens). Amari Cooper, Oakland Raiders (at Seattle Seahawks).

Tight end of start of the week: Eric Ebron, Indianapolis Colts (at New York Jets)

With Jack Doyle still a question mark for this offense, Ebron is still the man in the red zone. It also helps that they are playing the third-worst defense in the league against tight ends.

Over the first five weeks, the Jets have allowed three touchdowns to tight ends and 659 yards, according to NFL.com

Other TE starts: Austin Hooper, Atlanta Falcons (vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers), George Kittle, 49ers (at Green Bay Packers). Cameron Brate, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (at Atlanta Falcons).

Tight end sit of the week: Antonio Gates, Los Angeles Chargers (at Cleveland Browns).

Everyone loves Antonio Gates… except for fantasy owners. Gates has only gone over 5 fantasy points this season and he is facing a tough Browns that does not budge at home

Other TE sits: Trey Burton, Chicago Bears (at Miami Dolphins), C.J. Uzomah (vs Pittsburgh Steelers), Jesse James (at Cinncinatti Bengals).

Defense and special teams starts of the week: Houston Texans (vs Buffalo Bills). Minnesota Vikings (vs Arizona Cardinals) Chicago Bears (at Miami Dolphins).

Defense and special team busts of the week: New York Jets (vs Indianapolis Colts). Denver Broncos (vs Los Angeles Rams). New England Patriots (vs Kansas City).

Kicker starts of the week: Jake Elliott, Philadelphia Eagles (at New York Giants). Cody Parkey Chicago Bears (at Miami Dolphins). Sebastian Janikowski, Seattle Seahawks (vs Oakland Raiders).

Kicker busts of the week: Josh Lambo, Jacksonville Jaguars (at Dallas Cowboys). Brandon McManus, Denver Broncos (vs Los Angeles Rams). Robbie Gould, San Francisco 49ers (at Green Bay Packers).