Dockless electric scooters make their way to El Paso

Glide+scooters+are+similar+to+the+electric+scooters+that+have+been+popping+up+around+the+country%2C+except+Glide+is+a+local+start-up+

Glide scooters are similar to the electric scooters that have been popping up around the country, except Glide is a local start-up

Jake Deven

Jake Deven

Jake Deven

Jake Deven, Entertainment Editor

The electric scooter phenomena have exploded in dozens of cities, now local entrepreneurs are bringing dockless electric scooters to El Paso. With the introduction of Glide, which debuts this month, El Paso joins the lengthy list of American cities offering this option to commuters and public transit riders.

Glide electric scooters connect to a mobile application that allows anyone with a phone and a valid driver’s license to access and ride the devices. Users can ride around for as long as they want, at speeds of up to 15 mph, and leave the scooters anywhere once they have arrived at their destinations. Glide’s scooters weigh just 27 pounds and cost $0.20 per minute with an additional $1 base charge.

“There are many reasons why cities are embracing this trend. They’re eco-friendly, sustainable, produce zero emissions, low cost and accessible to every citizen,” said Jonathan Lopez, CEO and co-founder of Glide.

Glide scooters will be available in Downtown, Kern Place, Sunset Heights, Cincinnati District, and all the way up to Executive Blvd.  

Lopez says that Glide understands the issues that other cities have encountered with dockless electric scooters, such as scooters being parked in front of businesses and sidewalks. What sets Glide apart from other dockless electric scooter companies are the Glide Ambassadorsfull-time employees who will patrol the streets and track scooters to ensure that they are parked appropriately.

“Our team has worked tirelessly for the opportunity to set the standard for electric scooters in El Paso,” Lopez said. “By being first, we can set the bar and keep it there.”

One of Glide’s main goals is to give El Paso the best and safest scooter-sharing platform in the country. Glide will be rolling out the scooters slowly, giving the city the chance to adapt, and will also be conducting lessons on how to use the scooters safely and without breaking any rules.

“We’re local, we’re from El Paso. Each and every one of us is a UTEP alumnus, and we love our city. We want to make sure that we do our part to continue to make El Paso a more progressive, better and cooler place to live,” Lopez said.

• Dockless electric scooters make their way to El Paso

iFLY prepares to make El Paso fly

Latina Arte Exhibition set to take place at the Hal Marcus Gallery

‘The House that Martha Built’ a final show by UTEP senior Katie Harding

Aguirre completes solo exhibition

Senior receives Templeton Endowment

El Paso Pro-Musica: A fuse of education and world-renowned performance

UTEP Department of Theatre and Dance presents “A Christmas Carol, en la Frontera”

The Magic of ‘The Nutcracker’ comes to El Paso

UTEP Choir ‘revels’ with holiday concerts

El Paso WinterFest returns to the borderland