Our civic duty

Our civic duty

Andrea Valdez-Rivas, Reporter

In recent weeks, Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh has been accused by three women, one of them being, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, of sexual misconduct. That’s right, a nominee for the Supreme Court.

As she sat before the Senate committee last week to give her testimony, recounting one of the worst moments a woman could live through, women across the nation could only listen with empathy to an all too familiar story.

Blasey Ford alleges that the assault took place when she and Kavanaugh were 15 and 17, respectively.  She is “100 percent” certain that it was Kavanaugh who assaulted her in 1982.

It goes without saying that trying to explain details from a sexual assault to a panel on live national television is difficult enough, but it’s even harder when stubborn men can’t see a suffering woman’s point of view. A woman will not concoct a sexual assault allegation for partisan political motives.. To demean a traumatic event like Blasey Ford’s to a mere lie is simply unjust.

Kavanaugh has no place in the Supreme Court if he acts unjustly. Kavanaugh has no place in the Supreme Court if he can’t treat women, or anyone for that matter, with dignity and respect.

If Kavanaugh is confirmed to the Supreme Court, then I will be convinced that there is little to no voice for women in this country. There will always be those individuals who will take the word of a man and trust it blindly, even when that man is guilty. If Kavanaugh is confirmed to the Supreme Court, then let that be an indication of how certain individuals in this government care so little for women’s rights.

Blasey Ford said that it was her responsibility to tell the truth and her “civic duty” to come forward. It is the civic duty of this government to defend and stand with the women who suffer from sexual assault and to prevent that from happening to more girls and women of all ages. For the sake of women, their rights, and suffering, the men denying Blasey Ford owe it to her and to all women to do the right thing and believe. For women who have unfortunately suffered an assault such as this, let Blasey Ford encourage you to speak up, now more than ever. For you, the citizen, it is your civic duty to hear out our women and allow them a chance for justice.

Andrea Valdez-Rivas may be reached at theprospector1@gmail.com.

• Our civic duty

Lockheed Martin presents ‘job interview in a box’ on campus through Wednesday

• Our civic duty

El Paso County and BNHR file lawsuit against President Donald Trump

• Our civic duty

List of possible candidates to become UTEP’s next President makes way to UT Board of Regents

• Our civic duty

El Paso shows both love and hate for President Donald Trump

• Our civic duty

O’Rourke, Escobar and others march against the border wall

• Our civic duty

Our view of Monday’s political madness in El Paso

• Our civic duty

SGA proposed new legislation that aims to reduce plastic waste

• Our civic duty

UTEP offers campus resources for victims of abusive relationships

• Our civic duty

‘Border Street’ exhibition offers insight into adjacent cities

• Our civic duty

New Dean for the College of Business Administration to join in May

Our civic duty