Our civic duty

Our civic duty

Andrea Valdez-Rivas, Reporter

In recent weeks, Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh has been accused by three women, one of them being, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, of sexual misconduct. That’s right, a nominee for the Supreme Court.

As she sat before the Senate committee last week to give her testimony, recounting one of the worst moments a woman could live through, women across the nation could only listen with empathy to an all too familiar story.

Blasey Ford alleges that the assault took place when she and Kavanaugh were 15 and 17, respectively.  She is “100 percent” certain that it was Kavanaugh who assaulted her in 1982.

It goes without saying that trying to explain details from a sexual assault to a panel on live national television is difficult enough, but it’s even harder when stubborn men can’t see a suffering woman’s point of view. A woman will not concoct a sexual assault allegation for partisan political motives.. To demean a traumatic event like Blasey Ford’s to a mere lie is simply unjust.

Kavanaugh has no place in the Supreme Court if he acts unjustly. Kavanaugh has no place in the Supreme Court if he can’t treat women, or anyone for that matter, with dignity and respect.

If Kavanaugh is confirmed to the Supreme Court, then I will be convinced that there is little to no voice for women in this country. There will always be those individuals who will take the word of a man and trust it blindly, even when that man is guilty. If Kavanaugh is confirmed to the Supreme Court, then let that be an indication of how certain individuals in this government care so little for women’s rights.

Blasey Ford said that it was her responsibility to tell the truth and her “civic duty” to come forward. It is the civic duty of this government to defend and stand with the women who suffer from sexual assault and to prevent that from happening to more girls and women of all ages. For the sake of women, their rights, and suffering, the men denying Blasey Ford owe it to her and to all women to do the right thing and believe. For women who have unfortunately suffered an assault such as this, let Blasey Ford encourage you to speak up, now more than ever. For you, the citizen, it is your civic duty to hear out our women and allow them a chance for justice.

Andrea Valdez-Rivas may be reached at theprospector1@gmail.com.

• Our civic duty

My farewell

• Our civic duty

Presidential search process continues moving forward ‘as scheduled’

• Our civic duty

Homelessness a prevalent issue among college students

• Our civic duty

Tips for college students pursuing a career in journalism

• Our civic duty

RESET presents the first robot psychiatrist

• Our civic duty

A way toward progress for 3-D printing at UTEP

• Our civic duty

UTEP students react to Streetcar opening

• Our civic duty

I Photographed Juárez for National Geographic

• Our civic duty

UTEP promotes diversity through food

• Our civic duty

Campaign launched to honor President Natalicio, ‘Thank You for 30’

Our civic duty