Miners outlast NMSU 4-1

Senior+goalkeeper+Alyssa+Palacios+and+senior+defender+Payton+Ross+celebrate+as+the+miners+score+a+second+goal+against+NMSU.+

Miners outlast NMSU 4-1

Senior goalkeeper Alyssa Palacios and senior defender Payton Ross celebrate as the miners score a second goal against NMSU.

Daniel Mendez, Sports Editor

UTEP soccer defeated the NMSU Aggies 4-1 on Sunday, Sept. 23rd at University Field.

“We prepared for this game because we wanted to get back at them for last year,” said sophomore Anna Jimmerson. “Battle of I-10 in general and then plus our football team lost yesterday so we really, really needed to get this win,” Jimmerson said.

UTEP (6-4-1) handed the Aggies (1-9) their ninth loss of the season as well as bragging rights against their rival this year in the Battle of I-10. Improving their overall record against the Aggies to 7-1.

Junior Natalie Valentine opened up the scoring early in the game at the 1:58 mark when she was assisted by sophomore April Pate. Giving the Miners an early advantage against their rivals.

Senior goalkeeper Alyssa Palacios recorded four saves and allowed one goal that came off a penalty kick in the 39th minute of the first half.

Just before the first half ended, freshmen Hayley Vaughan scored for the Miners extending the lead to three. Vaughan was assisted by freshmen Jojo Ngongo.

In the second half, it was all UTEP had the Aggies failed to get anything going offensively.

At the 87th minute, Jimmerson put the game to bed when she scored the fourth and final goal for the Miners.

Sophomore Vic Bohdan added another goal for her impressive season in the first half.  Bohdan’s goal tied her amongst junior Lauren Crenshaw with four goals apiece as the Miners leading scorers. 

“It was a real good performance. I mean, in a rivalry game to play that well,” head coach Kevin Cross. “I’m very proud of the girls and it was a good response after Thursday.”

• NMSU junior defender Kelly Burton runs the ball down the field.

• NMSU Sophomore midfielder Emma Smith defends the ball from Sophomore midfielder April Pate.

• NMSU Sophomore midfielder attempst to take the ball from Emma Smith sophomore forward Jackie Soto.

• Senior defender Payton Ross kicks the ball towards the NMSU goal net.

• Sophomore midfielder April Pate attempts to retake the possession of the ball.

• Senior goalkeeper Alyssa Palacios and senior defender Payton Ross celebrate as the miners score a second goal against NMSU.