Chihuahuas come from behind to earn a home win

El+Paso+Diablos+first+basemen+Allen+Craig+gets+New+Orleans+Baby+Cakes+second+basemen+Isn+Diaz+out+at+first+at+game+one+of+the+series.+
El Paso Diablos first basemen Allen Craig gets New Orleans Baby Cakes second basemen Isn Diaz out at first at game one of the series.

Daniel Mendez, Web Editor

The El Paso Chihuahuas returned home for a first of a seven-game homestand with a come-from-behind victory against the New Orleans Baby Cakes, 4-3, Wednesday Aug.1., in front of 7,527 fans in attendance at Southwest University Park.

On the mound for the Chihuahuas  (59-49), or rather the Diablos, it was Diablos Night at the park, was undefeated pitcher, Brett Kennedy (10-0) as he faced Baby Cakes right-handed pitcher Jeff Brigham (2-0).

The win was a first of a three-game series with New Orleans (50-58), who led throughout the game. The Baby Cakes jumped out early as left fielder Eric Campbell brought in one of his two RBIs when he brought in right fielder Austin Dean in the first inning.

El Paso Diablos starting pitcher Brett Kennedy delivers in the first inning of the game one of the series against the New Orleans Baby Cakes on Wednesday, Aug. 1 at Southwest University Park.

Campbell’s second RBI came in the third inning, when he brought in Dean and second basemen Isan Diaz.

After the third inning, New Orleans never mounted the same offensive firepower it was able to in the begging innings.

For the Diablos, left fielder Shane Peterson started things off when he hit a solo home run in the second inning. The one run was the only blemish on Baby Cakes’ starting pitcher Brigham as he struck out six Diablos this evening.

In the fourth inning, shortstop Javy Guerra hit a double to bring first baseman Allen Craig home, to bring the Diablos within one. The Diablos left runners on base in the sixth inning. But in the eighth inning, it was a different story. Craig got on base to start things off for the Diablos. Catcher Raffy Lopez then hit a two-run home run that sealed the game for the Diablos.

Kennedy pitched five innings, allowed six hits and struck out three before getting replaced by Jonathan Aro. But the pitcher that was awarded the win was Brad Wieck, who pitched two innings while he struck out five batters. Trey Wingetner was awarded his fourth save of the season.

Game two of the three-game series is scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday Aug.2., at 7:05 p.m.

• Chihuahuas come from behind to earn a home win

As camp Ruidoso comes to an end Miners look for offensive swagger

El Paso wins seventh straight, sweeps Round Rock at home

UTEP football kicks off in camp Ruidoso

UTEP men’s basketball announces 2018-19 schedule

Annual Plaza Classic Film Festival kicks off in August

Congressman Beto O’Rourke begins 34-day trip in his hometown

UTEP Athletics honors retiring secretary for 31 years of service

El Paso USL names Mark Lowry as head coach

Jones Brothers youth football camp dazzles in second year

Chihuahuas jeopardize first-place spot with loss to Sacramento