This week at UTEP: July 16-21

UTEP+received+outstanding+feedback+from+The+Southern+Association+of+Colleges+in+their+report+released+every+10+years.+

This week at UTEP: July 16-21

UTEP received outstanding feedback from The Southern Association of Colleges in their report released every 10 years.

File Photo/ UTEP Prospector

File Photo/ UTEP Prospector

File Photo/ UTEP Prospector

Javier Cortez, Contributor

2018 Solar Car Challenge comes to UTEP

On Friday, July 20 UTEP will host the Solar Car Challenge–a day-long exhibition that showcases the best solar cars made by high school students from across the country. The 15-month educational program sees the students travel across Texas to California, showcasing their cars, with UTEP being one of the final stops along the way. The event will be hosted by the College of Engineering’s Excellence in Technology, Engineering and Science, or ExciTES, program at the Schuster Parking Garage (SC1). The event is free and open to the public, from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

UTEP professor receives prestigious accolade

Dr. Angela Frederick, assistant professor of sociology in the Department of Sociology & Anthropology, was awarded the 2018 Sociology of Sex and Gender Distinguished Article Award for outstanding scholarship for her recent work published in Gender & Society–a premier peer-reviewed journal in field of sociology and women’s studies by the American Sociological Association (ASA). Dr. Frederick’s work, “Risky Mothers and the Normalcy Project: Women with Disabilities Negotiate Scientific Motherhood”, was published in the journal’s February edition, the focus of Frederick’s paper was on the discrimination mothers with disabilities face under changing cultural beliefs about motherhood. Dr. Frederick will be honored in August by the ASA in Philadelphia.