Chihuahuas fall to Albuquerque Tuesday, but stand victorious in homestand

File Photo
Chico greets the fans in his 4th of July attire for the El Paso Chihuahuas.

Since being the Colorado Rockies opening day pitcher in 2017, Jon Gray has been one of the league’s more inconsistent pitchers in the majors. On Saturday, he was demoted to Albuquerque. On Tuesday, he made his Triple-A debut, and pitched lights out for Isotopes, lifting the road team to an 11-5 win in front of a sold-out crowd at Southwest University Park.

Gray pitched six innings, which included five hitless shutout innings and pitched six strikeouts. His no hitter streak was stopped by Chihuahuas’ Forrestt Allday’s two-run homer in the sixth inning.

Albuquerque went top to bottom in their batter rotation in the top of the third inning, including four runs scored.

To close out the game, El Paso infielder Diego Goris went to the mound as a substitute pitcher for the dogs and got the final two outs for the home squad. El Paso won the series, taking three of the five games at home. In their nine game homestand, the Chihuahuas (45-40) took six of nine games.

Next Game: Wednesday6:35 pm at Smith’s Ballpark. El Paso RHP Walker Lockett (3-7, 4.98) vs. Salt Lake LHP Jose Suarez (0-3, 5.23).