Chihuahuas bury Grizzlies for sixth-straight win

Sergio Muñoz
Designated hitter Franmil Reyes at-bat on Monday June 25 at the Southwest University Park.

Coming off their second series sweep over Sacramento, the El Paso Chihuahuas returned home to extend their winning streak to six games, outlasting the Fresno Grizzlies 7-5.

In front of 5,660 fans, the Chihuahuas out-hit the Grizzlies 13-6 on the night, with four players having two or more hits.

“It’s a long season, a half a season left, but this one gets us over .500,” said Shane Peterson. “With two months left, we can get this win streak going and get another two, then we’ll make a run for the playoffs and keep going from there.”

El Paso got their scorecard rolling at the bottom of the second, as Shane Peterson hit a two-run shot to bring in Brett Nicholas. Luis Urias kept it going with an RBI single, followed by Carlos Asuaje, who hit a sac fly to bring a runner home. El Paso scored four runs off five hits at the bottom of the second, giving a commanding lead to the home team.

Fresno responded at the top of the fourth with two runs of their own. J.D. Davis of the Grizzlies stuck first with an RBI groundout, while AJ Reed hit an unearned RBI.

El Paso’s 4-0 lead evaporated as Nick Tanielu of the Grizzlies hit a two-run homer to center field, tying the game at four apiece.

Peterson found his bat yet again in the bottom of the fifth, hitting a two-run RBI double to bring home.

“I’m just trying to ride the high I’ve had,” said Peterson, who went 3-for-4. “We’ve had a really good couple of days. Hope to keep it rolling.

Both the Grizzlies and the Chihuahuas scored back-to-back runs in the sixth inning. Kyle Tucker hit a solo shot for Fresno, as Allen Craig hit an RBI single at the bottom of the sixth to extend the Chihuahuas lead to 7-5 going into the seventh inning.

Between Chris Huffman and Brad Wieck, El Paso held Fresno to three scoreless innings to end the night. Starting pitcher Brett Kennedy was credited with the win, striking out three batters and allowing four earned runs.

“For me, going out there and giving quality starts is what matters, the rest of the stats just kind of happens,” Kennedy said.

Next up, El Paso (40-37) will take on Fresno in game two of their four-game series on Tuesday. First pitch is slated for 7:05 pm at Southwest University Park. Fresno RHP Brock Dykxhoorn (2-0, 2.35) will take on El Paso RHP Seth Simmons (0-0, 2.45).