This week at UTEP: June 18-24

UTEP+received+outstanding+feedback+from+The+Southern+Association+of+Colleges+in+their+report+released+every+10+years.+
File Photo/ UTEP Prospector
UTEP received outstanding feedback from The Southern Association of Colleges in their report released every 10 years.

Thirteen UTEP students receive IME Becas Grant 

On Tuesday, June 19, at the Consulate General of Mexico Building, the Consul General of Mexico in El Paso will present 13 UTEP students with a $13,200 grant for the IME Becas Scholarship Program. The grant and program specifically target Mexican students. UTEP has been in collaboration with the Mexican Consulate and IME since 2010; resulting in nearly 90 scholarships for UTEP students from across the border. The 13 recipients represent different programs and colleges all across the university. The purpose of the international collaboration is to expand abroad educational opportunities for low-income Mexican internationals. The ceremony begins at 10:30 a.m., the Consulate General of Mexico Building is located at 910 E. San Antonio. 

UTEP intelligence meeting to feature security experts

The annual National Security Colloquium will be headlined by intelligence and security service experts. The conference will take place from June 19-20 from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Blumberg Auditorium on the first floor of the University Library. Established in 2008, the conference is predominantly attended by UTEP students, scholars and local law enforcement, who have a keen interest in intelligence and national security; the conference is open to and free for the public to attend as well. The specific topics of discussion at this year’s conference revolve around the intelligence and security services of allies and adversaries such as France, Spain, China, Iran, Russia, Israel, Mexico, the Netherlands and North Korea.  For more information, contact UTEP’s National Security Studies Institute (NSSI) at [email protected] or 915-747-6828.

The Office of Alumni Relations presents UTEP Alumni PICK–NICs

On Saturday, June 23, UTEP alumni, family and friends are invited to enjoy an afternoon-long pick-nic at the WCA Mary Ann Dodson Camp. The seventh-annual event will feature food, swimming, Zumba, a jumping balloon, a watermelon eating contest, music and more.  Ticket prices start at $8 for children under the age of 12 and UTEP students and $10 for adults; the ticket price includes a picnic-style meal, beverages and activities. To purchase tickets visit  alumni.utep.edu/pick-nic, for more information call 915-747-8600 or email [email protected]. WCA Mary Ann Dodson Camp is located at 4400 Boy Scout Lane.

UTEP grad student receives state agency fellowship

Master of Public Administration student Mayra Rodarte has received the Kenneth Ashworth Fellowship. The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board made the recent announcement, stating the UTEP grad student was made the recipient for her undergraduate work and her financial practicality. During her time as an undergrad, Rodarte saved the money she earned as a research assistant for grad school, now with a scholarship in hand, she can hold on to that tuition money. “Personally, it takes a (financial) weight off my shoulders,” Rodarte said in a press release. “Earning this fellowship will keep me motivated (and) I’ll need to work hard to continue to be deserving of it.”

The grad student currently boasts a 4.0 GPA.

UTEP offers education and entertainment for primary schools students 

The Centennial Museum and the Chihuahuan Desert Gardens will host a month-long Discovery Summer Camp Series from June 18th to July 27, Monday through Friday, at Centennial Museum and the Chihuahuan Desert Gardens. The camps are specified for students between fourth and eighth grade. Early registration costs $75 and late registration enrollment costs $80; covering camp supplies, daily snacks and a Friday Pizza Party. Space is limited to the first 25 children for each camp. To register, contact Kaye Mullins at 915-747-8994. The Centennial Museum and the Chihuahuan Desert Gardens are located at the corner of Wiggins Way and University Avenue.