Will you be voting in the 2024 Presidential Election?

PBC Boxing returns to the El Paso and puts on a show

Elenie Gonzalez
Anthony Dirrell dives into Abraham Han at Premiere Boxing Champions on Saturday, April 28 at the Don Haskins Center.

Boxing returned to El Paso Saturday as Premier Boxing Champions present PBC on FOX at the Don Haskins Center. The main event of the evening was veteran Josesito Lopez (35-7) facing up and comer Miguel Cruz (17-0).

The first televised fight of the evening featured the Featherweight contest between Jorge Lara (29-0-2) and Claudio Marrero (22-2). Marrero handed Lara his first loss via knockout in the first 33 seconds of the first round.

“I knew he would be aggressive and we worked very hard in training camp to achieve this,” Marrero said. “I saw my opportunity and I knew that it was over once I connected.”

Lara admits he got caught when Marrero pressed the action against him. Lara admits he fell victim to wanting to put a show on for the fans.

“I just got caught with a great punch,” Lara said. “I wanted to be aggressive and give the fans a great show. It didn’t go my way.”

The next battle was in the Super Middleweight between Anthony Dirrell (31-1) and El Paso’s own Abraham Han (26-3). Dirrell played the role of heel here perfectly as he was able to land a successful body shot at the end of the first round that dropped Han to the canvas. Han was saved by the bell. The action continued till the ending of the fourth round. Where it saw both fighters fall to the floor and exchange punches after the bell. Han responded composed and was able to win round five. But as the rounds progressed Han looked fatigued as Dirrell was able to land his shots at will.

The fight went the distance as Dirrell was able to get the unanimous decision as one judge scored the contest 100-89, and the two other judges scored the contest 99-93 for Dirrell.

“I thought I did well tonight boxing him for 10 round,” the former world champion said. “I didn’t think I lost a round. Two of the judges thought so but I can’t do anything about that. I did what I was supposed to do.”

Han who was upset about his performance blamed the fact that he wasn’t able to land his jab against his opponent.

“I wasn’t happy with my performance,” Han said. “I couldn’t get my jab going at all. If I had been more effective with that I think I would have been able to win more rounds.”

The main event of the evening showcased the veteran Lopez has he got the best of Cruz. As he handed Cruz his first loss of his young career. The fight went the distance and showcased that Lopez is not done and is looking for more big money fights in the welterweight division.

“I have some boxing ability clearly, Lopez said. “I beat a great undefeated fighter tonight and I was able to out class him. I used my abilities.” Lopez gave credit to his trainer Robert Garcia for making him do a lifestyle of change of eating healthy and making him a complete fighter. “ I have an elite trainer who is training me like an elite fighter. I was one step behind in the past, but now I think I’ve made up that distance and then some.

The previously undefeated Cruz had been unstoppable in 17 fights previously but admitted that he was not ready for Lopez’s power. Cruz felt that the referee took away his gameplan when the referee told Cruz to watch out with his low blows to the body.

“I didn’t agree with the calls on the low blows,” Cruz said. “I didn’t get a chance to work the body like I wanted. That was the plan coming in. They took it away from me.” Cruz continued how he will use this to become a better fighter. “This is just another step in my journey. I didn’t get hurt or anything. I just need to get better in the gym and keep working combinations. I just have to get better.”