El Pasoans celebrate Earth Day by marching for the planet

Sergio Muñoz

Marchers head down Oregon St. from Centennial Plaza on Sunday, April 22 for the March for Planet Earth.

Sergio Muñoz, Staff Photographer

• During the event before the march, people received a shirt celebrating Earth Week at Centennial Plaza on April 22.

• Before the beginning of the march the Danza Azteca group performs at Centennial Plaza on Sunday, April 22.

• Edward Wemytewe and Eduardo Barrera were the individuals who designed the flags used during the event.

• According to Edward Wemytewe, the yellow flag with the eagle and condor symbolizes people from the north and the south with one heart. The red flag symbolizes female.

• Fernanda Lugo, the Student’s Green Team president, and her mom supported the march at Centennial Plaza on Sunday, April 22.

• Marissa Rojero, a Junior Physics major, was one of the hosts of the event. She is part of the Frontera Water Protection Alliance.

• There were people who ride their bikes during the march on Centennial Plaza on Sunday, April 22.

• 2017 VMA award winner “Supaman” Christian Parrish (center) was also present during the march.

• Andrew Torres, a Junior Anthropology major, was one of the host of the event. He is the sustainability representative at the Student Government Association at University Avenue on Sunday, April 22.

• Rene Romo and his mom, Olga Romo, were also present during the march at University Avenue on Sunday, April 22.

• Marchers head down Oregon St. from Centennial Plaza on Sunday, April 22 for the March for Planet Earth.

• Activists march down Oregon St. from Centennial Plaza on Sunday, April 22 for the March for Planet Earth.

• People showed their support with different signs at San Jacinto Plaza on April 22.

• Neysa Hardin and Jaed Saucedo were some of the people who support the event for the Planet Earth at San Jacinto Plaza on Sunday, April 22.

• Live music by different guests was performed after the march at San Jacinto Plaza on Sunday, April 22.

• Two students from Bowie High School invited people to the march against maintenance and transportation facility at Bowie, at San Jacinto Plaza on Sunday, April 22.

On Sunday, April 22, The Frontera Water Protection Alliance hosted The March for Planet Earth and Earth Celebration. The morning kicked off with a pre celebratory dance by the Danza Azteca at Centennial Plaza, where marchers gathered. They then took the streets down to San Jacinto Plaza.  Marisa Rojero and Andrew Torres, members of the Water Protection Alliance and hosts of the event, handed out shirts to the participants. VMA 2017 award winner “Supaman” Christian Parrish and the Student’s Green Team president Fernanda Lugo were present at the event. The crowd showed solidarity with the planet holding signs that read “May the forest be with you”. “Water is life “, and ” Science isn’t fake.” There was also live music, food, and other activities after the march at San Jacinto Plaza.