Will you be voting in the 2024 Presidential Election?

UTEP tuition is increasing by 5 percent

Elenie Gonzalez
Vice President of Student Affairs, Gary Edens presents the tuition increase proposal last November.

The tuition and fee increase proposals for all of the eight academic institutions of the University of Texas System was approved by the board of regents, a press release read on Monday.

The press release states that the approved increases range from 1 to 8 percent. UTEP’s base tuition increase was approved at 5 percent, a $197 increase for fall 2018 and an additional $208 increase in fall 2019 for in-state undergraduate students.

“Differential designated tuition will be in place for UTEP students in the colleges of Business Administration, Engineering, Health Sciences and the School of Nursing to cover the higher faculty salary and operating costs associated with these academic areas,” the press release said.

Gary Edens, vice president for student affairs, said that as UTEP’s enrollment increases, the education and courses have to keep up with the demands of the students.

Edens said faculty recruitment and retention will be an important factor of this tuition incensement.

The press release states that the tuition increase will try to offset reductions in state appropriations while maintaining a high-level university.

“We are pleased the Regents approved this increase so we can continue to provide our students with the best possible education in the region,” Edens said. “This increase will be used to boost course offerings, retain quality faculty, offer additional financial aid resources and further develop our academic programs.”