O’Rourke plans for Senate race after winning Texas primary

Beto+O%E2%80%99Rourke%2C+candidate+for+U.S.+Senator+representing+Texas%2C+speaks+at+his+primary+night+watch+party+at+Brass+Monkey+on+Tuesday%2C+March+6.+
Adrian Broaddus
Beto O’Rourke, candidate for U.S. Senator representing Texas, speaks at his primary night watch party at Brass Monkey on Tuesday, March 6.

Months of visiting 226 counties throughout Texas paid off for Democrat Beto O’Rourke as he was on track to easily win the party’s nomination on Tuesday night in part of the Texas primaries.

Now, O’Rourke will challenge Republican Senate house holder Ted Cruz, who easily won the vote by 85 percent.

“Failure is not an option,” O’Rourke said to nearly one hundred supporters that gathered at Brass Monkey to watch him speak via Facebook Live. “We got to win so we can take the big ambitious goals for this state. From now until November 6, it’s all out. I hope you will join us.”

At the event, O’Rourke’s family, including his wife Amy and three children, watched with his supporters as the results came in. El Paso Democratic party president Iliana Holguin hosted the event, as his supporters saw 61 percent of the voters call his name, making it a formidable victory.

“This is the first test passed with flying colors,” he said.

And with the primaries coming to a close, Cruz took an early shot at O’Rourke by releasing a radio ad that was a jingle jabbing O’Rourke for switching his name politically from “Robert” to “Beto.”

The election will be held Nov. 6.