The perfect last-minute gift ideas for procrastinators

Special to The Prospector
valentine gift box surrounded with candy hearts.

Maybe you were waiting for payday,  maybe you completely spaced out, or maybe you were purposely waiting for this list to come out. But with Valentine’s Day less than 24 hours away, here are some ideas for the procrastinators of the world who have yet to buy gifts for their significant others:  
1. Chocolate

Whether it’s Hershey’s Kisses, or if you want to get a  bit more creative, chocolate-covered strawberries, this is a no brainer and fail-proof gift for Valentine’s Day. What could be more romantic than finding your significant other with melted chocolate on the sides of their mouth the following days? So, stop by a Dollar Tree and get a bailout when on a budget. 

2. Flowers

Unless they’re allergic to pollen, flowers are the way to go. You can find these colorful gems  at your local grocery stores or farmer’s markets for less than $10. To spice things up, it is recommended not to go with the basic red roses, but with their favorite type of flowers.

3. Succulents

If flowers aren’t their thing, but you still want to go the plant route, a cute potted succulent is a great alternative. They’re easy to take care of and won’t dry out in a couple of days. ,These guys can bring your significant other’s workspace to life in an instant, or could flourish on a windowsill as a decoration. . Walmart is always stocked with  succulents, which makes it hard to choose from one another.

4. Candles

Imagine this: every time your significant other lights this candle, it will remind them of you and the burning flame of your love—cheesy, but it works. Stop by Bath and Body Works because they always have deals on candles and pick out a sweet-smelling scent. After a long day at school or work, lighting a candle and reading a good book can solve anything.

5. Book/Journal

There are plenty of books and journals out there, but here are two special and romantic options to spice things up. The first is “Shakespeare’s Love Sonnets.” There’s no doubt that Shakespeare was the man when it came to romance. So, who better to set the mood for a relaxing evening than him? This book features 29 of the most romantic sonnets, accompanied by contemporary illustrations that tastefully accentuate the depth of sentiment in each one, and is available on Amazon.

Another option is “One Line A Day.” This classic memory-keeping journal is the perfect way to track all the moments shared with each other for years to come. It only takes a minute to fill out, and when you look back at it, whether it’s good or bad, it shows you what you’ve overcome and created together, and is also available on Amazon.

6. Personalized

Whether it’s an inside joke or a reminder of how much you care, a personalized message on a coffee mug can make anyone’s morning. All you have to do is stop by at Joann’s, buy a blank mug, some sharpies and get to work. Even if you’re artistically challenged, it’s the thought that counts. This is a super easy DIY because after your masterpiece is done, all that is left to do is bake the mug in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and voila!

7. Matching keychains

With matching keychains, you’ll have a piece of your significant other wherever you go. Get on Amazon and search for the perfect design. It can be the classic heart halves, maybe a cloud to represent how you’re on cloud nine every time you’re with your SO, or even a sun and moon to show how they always brighten up your day in the darkest times.

8. Photo album/cork board

Collecting all your favorite pictures, printing them out at Walgreens for less than $10 and pinning them to a cork board or placing them in a photo album is such a sweet gesture. Memories are forever, but tangible evidence of a special day is always appreciated.

9. Unique card or love letter

This is probably the least expensive gift on the list. All you have to do is get a cute card, which you can find literally anywhere and fill it out with your thoughts and feelings. Chivalry isn’t dead with this no-brainer gesture. And if you want to kick it up a notch, read it to them in person. It shows you took the time out of your day to put your emotions into words for them, and will probably bring a tear or two of happiness to their eyes.

10. Dinner

It doesn’t take much to whip up some spaghetti at home, or maybe order some takeout and watch Netflix in fuzzy socks and pajamas for those who don’t feel like dressing up and eating out. If you go the cooking route, it can be a bonding or pampering experience. If you go for the takeout route, remember to compromise and relax. The way to anyone’s heart is through their stomach.