‘Iconic Pop’: a tribute to dance and music

Claudia Flores, Entertainment Editor

Sergio Muñoz

Iconic Pop pays tribute to the zeitgeist of the '60s.

As the lights dimmed, a video of Elvis Presley dancing and singing during his audition for Warner Brothers appeared on stage. Iconic Pop’s first number, “Euphoria in an Age of Anxiety,” was about to start.

A mistress of ceremonies played by UTEP student Melanie Elliot appeared on stage to give the audience a warm welcome to what would be a show full of music and dance.

With a set of lights that illuminated the stage, six dancers appeared on the scene to dance to the beat of Bill Haley and the Comets’ “Shake, Rattle and Roll” and “See you Later Alligator.” With colorful tabloid skirts and scarves for the ladies, and for the men colorful long sleeves shirts and jean suspenders, took the audience back to the ‘50s.

In this music number, the dancers preformed a more theatrical jazz style, like the ones you would see in many Broadway musicals to the sound of “Fly Me to the Moon” by Frank Sinatra, “Memories are Made of This” and “Ain’t that a Kick in the Head” by Dean Martin.

Set during the early years of the Cold War,  the mistress of ceremonies will assumed the role of a school teacher telling the dancers-playing the part of students-to protect their bodies as an alarm sounded, giving the idea that there was a threat to start a new war.

As the lights, the music and the backdrop changed to pure darkness a set of dim yellow lights illuminated the stage, five dancers appeared on stage moving to what it was a more contemporary piece.

For this number, members of the Mountain Movement Dance Company and the choreographer of the piece Leanne Rinelli danced the number called “Intersections,” where the dancers moved their bodies with more freedom but without losing the sense of coordination throughout the number.

As the dancers of “Intersections” left the stage, the stage changed, as a color piece full of hanging figures appeared floating on stage.

With the music of “Sunshine Superman” by Donovan, dancers started to appear on stage followed by colorful lights, and all dressed in loose trousers, fur vests, colorful shirts and flower crowns, the piece “Psychedelia” took the stage.

Setting a tribute for the ‘60s with songs like “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” by Lennon and McCartney and “White Rabbit” by Grace Slick, the audience was taken back in time to celebrate the hippie era. With dancers all over the place celebrating through their dance moves- jumps, turns, and some contemporary movements, both the audience and dancers captured the real essence of the ‘60s.

The transition from number to number was fast and simple, and in the next number “Aloft” two dancers and a cloud projection on the screen were the two only items needed on stage.

A simple but beautiful piece between dancers Ray B. Alba and Rebecca Angelica Chavez took the audience to a more intimate moment as the dance reflected the importance of reliance in a relationship.

Followed by a ten-minute intermission, the audience took a small break to come back to a unique and one of the most outstanding numbers of the night.

As two dancers made their appearance a small pallet was waiting for them on stage.

With just the spotlight on them and some neon attires, music similar to the one of an aerobics class in the ‘80s started playing and the music number “Until the End of Life, Love & Lust” started.

Dancers, Sebastian Santamaria and Cinthia Perez Navarro took the stage by performing an aerobic number on top of the pallet.

Full of fun and a dramatic fight the number represented the stages of life, love in a relationship and lust.
A quick but really entertaining number ended to clear the stage for the last number of the night “Amor Fragmentado.”

With just a simple backdrop and some warm lights, the music of Natalia Lafourcade started playing as dancers appeared on stage to dance a more contemporary piece to the earthy feeling of “Hasta la Raiz”.

This number included the music from other Latin Pop singers such as Carla Morrison, Ximena Sariñana, Mon Laferte and Gustavo Cerati.

The performance will continue at 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 15, 16 and 17. A matinee performance is also available at 2:30 p.m. on Feb. 11. Tickets are on sale at ticketmaster.com and the Wise Family Theatre box office.

• ‘Iconic Pop’: a tribute to dance and music

El Paso’s ‘Pet People’ set to go on their ‘Tiny Texas Tour’

J.I.D and EARTHGANG captivate sold-out show at Lowbrow

Neon Desert releases 2018 lineup

Cheech Marin’s art collection showcased at El Paso Museum of Art

WrestleMania ignites crowd in return to El Paso

Black Panther album showcases the human stories behind the superhero thriller

Former UTEP art students offer illustration workshop

Metropolitan Opera soprano to perform at UTEP

UTEP Piano professor releases new tango album

SGA holds Valentine’s themed fest at the Union Breezeway