The government shutdown is over but what will happen with DACA?

Christian Vasquez
The three-day-old government shutdown ended after the Senate and the House agreed on a temporary bill which is expected to fund the government through Feb. 8.

The Senate approved a short-term spending bill on Monday that opened the federal government after lawmakers couldn’t agree on a deal that would protect the Deferred Action Childhood Arrivals program, also known as DACA, while enforcing President Trump’s immigration policies.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., and Senate Majority Leader, Mitch McConnell, R-K.Y., said they will continue to negotiate on a deal that would include protection on the DACA program, which protected 800,000 immigrants from being deported to their native country.

“I’m glad we can finally get back to work here,” McConnell said after the vote.

Trump, who is now waiting to sign the bill, said he is glad that Democrats have come to their senses.

“I am pleased that Democrats in Congress have come to their senses and are now willing to fund our great military, border patrol, first responders, and insurance for vulnerable children. As I have always said, once the Government is funded, my Administration will work toward solving the problem of very unfair illegal immigration. We will make a long-term deal on immigration if, and only if, it is good for our country,” Trump said in a statement released by the White House.

Now, lawmakers will try to pass another spending bill after the short-term bill ends on Feb 9., Democrats will again try to convince Republicans to protect Dreamers.

UT System Chancellor William H. McRaven issued a statement on Monday in support of the DACA program.

McRaven said in a statement,

“As the date to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program approaches, I want to reiterate my support for the program. I, along with UT institution presidents, strongly believe in the benefits of DACA and encourage Congress to act quickly to continue the program. We also encourage DACA students to immediately take full advantage of the recent federal court decision to renew their status as the litigation proceeds through the federal judiciary. Whatever the outcome of the litigation or the decision by the Congress, the UT System will always follow state and federal law and encourages our students to do the same.”

To see a previous statement from McRaven click here. 

UTEP Executive Vice President Richard Adauto said that the university will support DACA students and encourages them to stay informed of their rights.

“UTEP stands firmly behind our DACA students as they work toward achieving their University degree. DACA students are encouraged to visit our DACA website, where they can find information about on- and off-campus support services, frequently asked questions, and printable resources. DACA recipients who are in need of assistance may contact the Dean of Students Office at 915-747-5648,” Aduato said in an email.