O’Rourke calls government shutdown “failure in leadership”

Representative Beto O’Rourke calls shutdown a “failure in leadership” Friday night after the Senate failed to agree on a spending bill.

The shutdown comes on the eve of the anniversary of President Trump’s one year in office.

jhgjhgjhgjhgjhjh

The shutdown began on Friday night as lawmakers failed to come to an agreement over a legislative fix for Dreamers.

The bill needed 60 total votes in order to pass but failed with only 50 voting yes. The vote had five Democrats voting for the Senate bill and five Republicans voting against the bill.

Just before the shutdown, the White House released a statement calling the Democrats “obstructionist losers, not legislators.”

The Democrats are betting that the government shutdown will be blamed on the Republican parties hard-line stance on immigration, while the Republicans are trying to rest the blame on Democrats unwillingness to compromise on the Dreamers issue.

The House managed to pass a spending bill but it did not include any relief for DACA recipients. The Republican spending bill did include a six-year funding plan for the Children’s Health Insurance Plan, known as CHIP, that was left unauthorized for around six months, in an effort to entice the Democrats.

Rep. O’Rourke voted no on the House bill.

The shutdown means that all “nonessential” government programs are no longer funded. the last shutdown in 2013 resulted in a .02 to .06 economic cut and 120,000 fewer jobs, according to the Office of Management and Budget.

This shutdown will be a bit different though, according to a press briefing by Mick Mulvaney, current director of the OMB.

“The military will still go to work. They will not get paid. The border will still be patrolled. They will not get paid. Folks will still be fighting the fires out West. They will not get paid. The parks will be open. People won’t get paid,” Mulvaney said.