Movies worth waiting for in 2018

Special to the Prospector

A new semester is starting, and with many students scheduled to graduate in May and many others who will be taking classes on campus for the first time, school can be stressful.

Here are the top movies to look out for in 2018, and to use as a distraction when times get rough.

’12 Strong’

Release Date: January 19, 2018

Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Michael Shannon, Michael Peña, Navid Negahban, Trevante Rhodes.

Summary: The film is based on Doug Stanton’s best- selling non-fiction book “Horse Soldiers,” tells the story of CIA paramilitary officers and the first U.S. Special Forces 12-member team deployed to war-ridden Afghanistan immediately after 9/11. Under the leadership of a new captain, the team works with an Afghan warlord to take down the Taliban.

‘Fifty Shades Freed’

Release Date: February 8, 2018

Starring: Dakota Johnson, Jamie Dornan, Eric Johnson, Kim Basinger, Rita Ora, Arielle Kebbel.

Summary: As they barely step into their newlywed roles as Mr. and Mrs. Grey  start to share a life of luxury, Anastasia and Christian’s indivisible connection is tested. Problems from the past lurk in the shadows and post new threats, jeopardizing their happily ever after before it even begins.

‘The 15:17 to Paris’

Release Date: February 9, 2018

Starring: Spencer Stone, Anthony Sadler, Alek Skarlatos.

Summary: Clint Eastwood’s retells the true story of three brave Americans interfering and saving the lives of passengers who boarded the #9364 Paris-bound train from a terrorist attack. The film  follows the lives of these young Americans from childhood, through their friendship, up until the unfortunate attack.

‘Black Panther’

Release Date: February 16, 2018

Starring: Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong’o, Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker

Summary: T’Challa, the super-powered king of the technologically advanced African nation of Wakanda, introduced in “Captain America: Civil War,” returns to his homeland to succeed to the throne. However, he must battle an old rival for it, securing the safety of his people and the entire world in the process. Faced with the betrayal of trust and danger, he must rally his allies and release the full power of Black Panther to defeat his enemies.

‘A Wrinkle in Time’

Release Date: March 9, 2018

Starring: Oprah Winfrey, Storm Reid, Chris Pine, Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling, Michael Peña.

Summary: Ava DuVernay directs a stellar cast in the movie based off of Madeleine L’Engle’s 1963 award-winning children’s fiction classic. Following the discovery of a new form of space travel as well as Meg’s father’s sudden disappearance, she, her brother, and her friend must join three magical beings – Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which – to travel across the universe to rescue him from a terrible evil.

‘A Quiet Place’

Release Date: April 6, 2018

Starring: John Krasinski, Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds, Noah Jupe.

Summary: A modern-day silent film, portraying a family living an isolated existence with a complete absence of sound, for fear of an unknown threat that follows and attacks at any noise made. The silent treatment isn’t as bad, when your life depends on it.

‘Avengers: Infinity War’

Release Date: May 8, 2018

Summary: Iron Man and Captain America must reunite their teams, with a little help from the Guardians of the Galaxy, in order to defeat their most powerful enemy yet—Thanos. As Thanos  goal is to collect all six infinity stones, artifacts of unimaginable power, in order to inflict chaos on all of reality and rule every crevice of the universe. Everything the Avengers have fought for has led up to this moment – the fate of Earth and existence itself has never been more uncertain.

‘Ocean’s 8’

Release Date: June 8, 2018

Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Pratt, Chris Evans, Josh Brolin, Scarlett Johansson, Tom Holland, Elizabeth Olsen, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth.

Summary: Planning a heist of the highest level is not easy. After all, how many people does it take to steal the world’s most expensive necklace? Eight. If you pick the right women, and do it at the glamourous Met Gala, according to Debbie Ocean it is possible.

Starring: Sandra Bullock, Rihanna, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter, Sarah Paulson, Mindy Kaling.

The Incredibles 2

Release Date: June 15, 2018

Starring: Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, Samuel L. Jackson, John Ratzenberger, Sarah Vowell, Huck Milner.

Summary: After 13 years of waiting, ’90s babies who grew up on Pixar’s “The Incredibles” and suffered one of the longest cliff hangers, will now get the sequel they deserve. The superpowered Parr family has tried to of normality while combating a new supervillain called The Underminer, and discovering their youngest member Jack-Jack has superpowers after all!

‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’

Release Date: June 22, 2018

Starring: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Jeff Goldblum, Toby Jones, B.D. Wong.

Summary: With all of the fascination, adventure and thrills associated with one of the most popular and successful franchises in cinema history, “Jurassic World” portrays the return of favorite characters and dinosaurs–along with new formidable breeds, more terrifying than ever before- when the island’s dormant volcano begins roaring to life. Owen Grady and Claire Dearing organize a danger-filled campaign to rescue the remaining species from this extinction-level event before it’s too late, for them all.

“Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again”

Release Date: July 20, 2018

Starring:  Amanda Seyfried, Meryl Streep, Colin firth, Lily James, and Pierce Brosnan.

Summary: After Sophie announces her pregnancy to Tanya and Rosie, she starts doubting herself on whether she will be able to run and manage the Greek villa all by herself, especially after the death of her mother Donna. But Sophie will find more about her mother’s past through the stories told by Rosie and Tanya, giving her the strength to run the villa which soon will be the home for herself and her daughter.

‘Fantastic Beasts 2: The Crimes of Grindelwald’

Release Date: November 16, 2018

Starring:  Eddie Redmayne, Jude Law, Johnny Depp, Zoe Kravits and Ezra Miller.

Summary: After being captured by the Magical Congress of the United States, Grindelwald makes good on his threat by escaping from custody to gather followers to raise pure-blood wizards to rule over the non-magical beings. But Albus Dumbledore and Newt Scamander will make an effort to prevent Grindelwald from succeeding in his plan as love and loyalty are tested among  friends and family in a divided wizarding world.