Men’s basketball coach Tim Floyd announces retirement after 1-5 start

File photo

UTEP men’s basketball head coach Tim Floyd announced he is retiring after a 66-52 loss to Lamar and a disappointing 1-5 start.

Floyd was 136–86 (.632) overall with the program, led the team to two NIT appearances and no NCAA tournament bids during his time with the program (2010-2017).

“This is the right time, I know this is the right time,” he said after the loss to Lamar. “I’ve coached for 42 years and I love this school, nobody wants to win here more than I do. I think it’s time for someone else to have the opportunity to have the joy that I’ve had, the agony, the acclaim and the heartbreak that I’ve had.”

Previously, Floyd was the head coach of several teams in the NCAA and NBA, including the University of Southern California men’s college basketball team, the Chicago Bulls and the New Orleans Hornets.

Floyd said during his post-game press conference that he had spoken with his family about this and decided it was time to retire. The loss to Lamar was his team’s fifth loss in a row.

Athletic Director Jim Senter will have to announce who will be the interim head coach before the Miners play NMSU on Thursday, Nov. 30.

“I want what’s best for this school, I want what’s best as they move forward,” Floyd said. “This seems like a great time with a new athletic director for him to evaluate Phil Johnson, Bobby Braswell, this program and where it is and try to make a decision on what he thinks is best for this program as it moves forward.”