Student Engagement & Leadership Center holds first Mindful Eating cooking workshop

Claudia Hernandez

The UTEP Student Engagement & Leadership Center hosted the first ever Mindful Eating workshop for UTEP’s “Love Your Body Week” on Oct. 24, at the UTEP Union Plaza. All UTEP students were welcomed to the event to become aware of some healthy but tasty choices when it comes to eating.

“Love your body week is not just about the outside it’s also about taking care of your inner body, the healthy part of it,” said Nicole Aguilar, Director of the UTEP Student Engagement & Leadership center. “Making sure that you’re eating healthy, you’re getting the right nutrients and that’s one thing that is so important to us about this week, that we get to talk about all the different types of messaging that we can do, from being confident in who you are to what you put into your body.”

Executive Chef Antonio Guardado and Sous Chef Jose Gomez of Sodexo showed how easy and fast it can be cooking healthy food.

The chefs prepared an egg and veggie English muffin from the help of two student volunteers, as well as a turkey flatbread with cranberry mayo. The dishes were distributed among the audience to enjoy.

“We are celebrating ‘Love Your Body Week’ for all different types of bodies and making sure people are comfortable about themselves,” said Emily Martinez, Inclusion and Advocacy Intern at the UTEP Student Engagement & Leadership center. “Taking some time to look in the mirror for people to appreciate themselves is our goal and Mindful Eating is one of the workshops that can help accomplish this.”

Every student who attended received a recipe book with an additional seven healthy food recipes.

Other events during “Love Your Body Week” are the Fashion Show @ Last Wednesday taking place on Wednesday, Oct. 25, at noon at the UTEP Union Plaza Stage, “The Mask You Live In” film screening & discussion taking place at the Union Cinema from 6-8 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 26 and Body Types through the Ages Display taking place at Leech Grove from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 27.