‘Me Too’ viral campaign unites victims of sexual misconduct

Courtesy of Tarana Burke Facebook
Courtesy of Tarana Burke Facebook

Following the recent sexual assault allegations against movie mogul Harvey Weinstein, a movement of women using the hashtag “MeToo” to speak out about their sexual assault has gone viral.

The campaign went viral after actress Alyssa Milano tweeted that anyone who has ever been sexually assaulted or harassed should tweet “Me Too” to “give people a sense of the magnitude of the problem.”

“Me Too” started more than 10 years ago by Tarana Burke to help young women of color who have survived sexual abuse, assault and exploitation. Burke is a program director for a Brooklyn-based Girls for Gender Equality. It was one story that moved her to create “Me Too” to help others.

“I think the one responsibility we have as survivors—once we get to a place where we can—is to create an entry point to healing for other survivors. For years I couldn’t figure out what that would be for me and then ‘Me too’ became that thing,” Burke told CNN in an interview.

Facebook has reported that the viral campaign has engaged 4.7 million people around the world in just 24 hours. They also reported that more than 45 percent of people in the U.S. are friends with someone who has posted a message with the words “Me Too.”