Top ways to study for midterms

Most students find themselves pulling all-nighters, downing coffee and energy drinks during the most stressful weeks of college. With midterm deadlines coming up, one might think that the best thing to do is drop a class because you can’t remember a single word inside your textbook.

Here are some quick tips that may help you during this stressful week:

1. No social media

The most important tip for studying is to simply put your phone away. You’d be surprised by the amount of time you lose while watching pointless videos.

Also, stop posting videos of how tired you are of spending hours in the library. They’re boring and people are just laughing at you.

2. Stop using a highlighter

If you feel that highlighting your text while studying is pointless, you are probably not among the group of students who believe this technique does work. According to the Association for Psychological Science, “two techniques that students frequently report using for studying—highlighting (or underlining) text and rereading text—were judged to be ineffective.”

3. Stop eating burgers

According to a study by the University of Oxford, students who ate a balanced and nutritious diet performed better on tests of attention and thinking speed than students who ate high-fat and low-carb foods. Plan meals out before going out to study and stick to  more nutritious diets.

4. Stick to one location

According to the Penn State York Success Center, “when you study in the same place every time, you become conditioned to study there. Your mind will automatically kick into gear, even when you don’t feel like studying.” This is very important because it stimulates the mind into a routine and makes you trained to think how to operate.

5. Take multiple breaks

Try to take a 10-minute break for every hour you study. Avoid having to pull all-nighters as your brain won’t be able to retain all the information you need for the exam. Plus, all-nighters are very detrimental to one’s health and can cause fatigue, loss of appetite or even early stages of insomnia.

6. Ask for help

While many students might hate working with their classmates, it is always good to ask other students to pitch in ideas while studying for a big exam.

Talk with your professors and explain to them what you need help with. They can clarify simple doubts that can save you from a failing grade. If there is an emergency or personal problems, you have to deal with, let your professors know. In many cases, they’ll usually take your side and work with you.

7. Stop complaining

Have a positive mentality and tell yourself that you’ll get a good grade. The last thing you need in these types of situations is your negative attitude. Stop telling your best friend how hard your exam review is. Just do it.