‘Wonderful Wonderful’ sounds like having a perpetual hangover

Special to The Prospector

It’s been five years since The Killers released their averagely acclaimed “Battle Born,” and now they return with “Wonderful Wonderful” in attempt to get back up to greatness again.

Although “Wonderful Wonderful” has generated generally favorable reviews, it’s peculiar to see them snatch headlining spots in big music festivals and yet stay in the back burner of the music spotlight.

This album includes an unnecessary amount of remixes of “The Man.” The original track itself is a sonically solid feel-good track, but recreating the sound on two other tracks takes away from that.

All they manage to do is prove that they can do the same thing three different ways, which is a good metaphor for their last three albums.

They are trying to revive a sound that has been beaten to death and forgotten.

Despite keeping the same recycled songs, some of the songs on “Wonderful Wonderful” shine on their own.

“Some Kind of Love” gives listeners a glimpse at the greatness that The Killers could possible achieve if they ditch the electro, dream-pop heavy melodies. The song doesn’t feature deep lyrics but Flowers’ low falsetto touches on something wonderful. The track is a great break in the middle to give listeners hope and keep listening to the rest of the album.

Even the follow up track “Out of My Mind” has a spark of those signature Killers singles but relies too heavily on the techno to come off as anything wholesome or decent.

A good album should be consistent throughout, not have only a few solid parts. “Wonderful Wonderful” is lyrically strong in most songs, but sonically destructive.

This feels like another throwback to their old sound and sounds of the electropop 80s.

Flowers described the album as one of their more personal ones as he touches on his wife’s depression in “Rut,” but the 80’s synth wave sounds that accompany the track make it difficult to take as personally. The lyrics are there but they don’t quite reach the melodies.

The Killers sound unsure of themselves as they struggle to move forward artistically. Even Flowers recently said, “I feel like I write a lot of solid 6s and 7s.”

Flowers questions himself with “Have All the Songs Been Written?” asking if everything he could possibly have written has been done. The answer is no.

Flowers on his own is a great artist who just needs a push in the right direction to improve on his artistry. It’s his doubt that holds him back and keeps him in the same place musically—as evident with “Wonderful Wonderful.” Even the intro to this track is reminiscent of the intro to “All These Things that I’ve Done.”

“Life to Come” sounds like something straight out of a U2 album—a great comparison to where the band is headed. U2 rides on the success of their classics, something that The Killers seem to be doing. They remain somewhat popular and sell shows, but it’s songs like “Mr.Brightside” and “All These Things That I’ve Done” that keep them afloat and filling up venues.

“The Calling” is the most diverse song on the album, utilizing strong guitar riffs and references something religious. Unsurprisingly, Flowers is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

None of the tracks off “Wonderful Wonderful” are memorable, each sounding like an extension of the last. Flowers struggles to make this “personal” album resonate with his audience. His attempts are emotionally stagnant. The techno and funk clash with the lyrics that they’re trying to deliver.

“Wonderful Wonderful” is far better than “Battle Born” but its not quite a comeback. They lack artistic growth and have to resolve their tension before they truly comeback.