Wilco to return to El Paso

Special to The Prospector

Coming off the critically successful release of their most recent album, “Schmilco,” Chicago indie rockers Wilco are set to perform at the Abraham Chavez Theatre on Sept. 28.

Original members Jeff Tweedy (lead vocals, rhythm, acoustic and lead guitars and harmonica) and John Stirratt (bass, backing vocals) are joined by percussionist Glenn Kotche, guitarist Nels Cline and keyboardists and sampling artists Mikael Jorgensen and Pat Sansone for Wilco’s “Fall U.S. Tour.” The band is touring with former Dovetail frontman Philip Creamer, New York-based singer-songwriter Margaret Glaspy and former Ugly Americans lead singer Bob Schneider–who will be opening for Wilco at the Abraham Chavez Theatre.

Wilco started as an alternative country project in 1994, shortly after country trio Uncle Tupelo—which Tweedy was a part of—disbanded. The band’s first full-length “A.M.” seemed to continue in that same alternative country direction, however, they would add a lot more experimental and garage rock elements to their sound, citing influences such as The Beatles, English pianist Bill Fay and punk rock group Television.

Their next album “Being There” (1996) saw them transition into a more progressive, alternative rock sound, with guitar riffs that played off of their contemporaries’ biggest hits. For example, the chord progression in the song “Outtasite (Outta Mind)” is similar to the one found in “Chemical World” from Britpop band Blur’s “Modern Life is Rubbish” (1993).

The band’s evolution continued in 1999, with the release of “Summerteeth.” However, it wasn’t until 2001 that Wilco found worldwide acclaim with the troubled release of “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.”

Once the album was mixed, Reprise records decided to dismiss Wilco from the label and give them the full rights to the album. The album found a home on the band’s website, generating significant buzz before being sold to Nonesuch Records—another Warner Music Group subsidiary—in 2002.

“Yankee Hotel Foxtrot” is the most commercially successful project the band has released, selling 670,000  copies and was also ranked No. 493 on Rolling Stone’s’ list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

2004’s “A Ghost is Born” was the band’s claim to fame in terms of Grammy success. It won “Best Alternative Music Album” and “Best Recording Package” in 2005.

The “Fall U.S. Tour” is scheduled to begin in Lincoln, Nebraska, at the Pinewood Bowl Theatre on Sept. 22.

Doors are set to open at 7:30 p.m., with Bob Schneider set to take the stage at approximately 8 p.m.

Tickets start at $30 and can be purchased on www.ticketmaster.com. The Abraham Chavez Theatre is located at 1 Civic Center Plaza.