Will you be voting in the 2024 Presidential Election?

Soccer picks up first victory of the season at Idaho State

Leslie Sarinana

Freshman Cayla Payne scored her first career goal (103’) off a feed from freshman Vic Bohdan to help lift the UTEP women’s soccer team to a 2-1 double-overtime win at Idaho State Sunday afternoon.

Anna Jimmerson (52’) also scored for the second time in as many matches and Alyssa Palacios recorded nine saves to aid in the victory.

The Miners (1-5) set a season high for shots (19) while finishing with their second-best shots on goal (six) of the campaign. The Bengals (1-4) piled up 32 shots, including 10 on target, but Palacios and the defense were ready for the onslaught. It marked the fifth time in six games that the Miners have gone to overtime this season.

“I have never been happier for UTEP Soccer,” UTEP head coach Kevin Cross said in a press release. “It took a total team effort today. We learned that every player has to empty her gas tank to win. ‘The overtime warriors’ came through. We grew a lot today. I am so proud of UTEP Soccer.”

UTEP will return home to play host to Incarnate Word at 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 8. As part of the “Flashback Friday” promotion, all fans who wear a “throwback outfit” from any decade will receive free admission. The Miners will wrap up their weekend at home vs. Stephen F. Austin on Sept. 10. It will be “Youth Soccer Day” and all kids (12 and younger) will get in free.