Chihuahuas beat Sacramento to clinch third straight division title

Hunter Renfroe got called down at the perfect time for El Paso. The outfield slugger hit a first inning grand slam to help the Chihuahuas beat the Sacramento River Cats 7-3 on Sunday night. The win gave the Chihuahuas their third straight PCL Pacific Southern division title.

The grand slam for Renfroe was part of a six-run inning that gave El Paso a 4-0 lead before Tony Cruz hit a two-run home run later in the inning.

Renfroe’s average with El Paso in 12 games since being called down is a blistering .490 with three homeruns and 14 RBI’s.

The Chihuahuas tacked on another run in the seventh when Jose Rondon hit an RBI double, bringing home Diego Goris.

Starting pitcher Tim Melville (1-0) allowed just two hits while striking out six and allowing only two runs to help the Chihuahuas maintain the lead.

The Chihuahuas had a mediocre season at best while also trailing Salt Lake in the division almost the entire season. The team even struggled to reach .500 throughout the course of the season but a winning stretch of 9 in their last 11 games helped flip the script.

The Chihuahuas (73-68) will face the Reno Aces (79-62) in the PCL Pacific Conference Championship series starting this Wednesday, Sept. 6 at the Aces Ballpark in Reno, Nevada. Game two will be Sept. 7 in Reno before the teams face off at Southwest University Park in El Paso on Friday, Sept. 8. Game four and five will be played in El Paso if necessary as the series winner is best three out of five.

The Chihuahuas won the regular season series against the Aces 8-7.