Miners introduce Chicago point guard Evan Gilyard

Miners introduce Chicago’s 3-star player, Evan Gilyard, to the media.

Freshman Evan Gilyard arrived at UTEP this past week to begin workouts and preparation for the 2017-18 basketball season with the Miners.

The 5-foot-10, 160-pound point guard is from Chicago, Illinois and went to the talent-productive Simeon Career Academy.

Gilyard led the team to a 125-11 record throughout the course of his career and was named first team All-State and first team All-City. He helped lead his school to a 29-4 record in his senior season. The three-star prospect was honored MVP of the Pontiac Holiday Christmas Tournament, as well as the Penny Hardaway National Hoop Fest in Dallas and Memphis.

A number of schools were seeking to add his talent to their roster such as Loyola (IL), Rhode Island, Southern Illinois, UAB, Illinois-Chicago and of course, UTEP.

The freshman point guard looks to contribute whatever is needed of him on the team and prides himself on being a good defender.

“As a player, I know it’s important to play solid defense, and I know I can do that. I’m going to work hard and develop my areas that are the weakest,” Gilyard said.

Notable graduates of Simeon Academy include NBA standouts Jabari Parker and 2011 NBA MVP Derrick Rose. When Gilyard was asked what type of player he takes after, he noted Rose as an inspiration, but not a hero.

“Derrick Rose isn’t my hero, but I do take certain aspects of my game from him. The guy I watch the most is Isaiah Thomas. We’re both similar height and he’s my inspiration when I’m on the court.” Gilyard said. “You know; we play with the same tenacity. We score a lot. I just love the way Isaiah plays.”

Coming from Chicago, the left-handed guard has a strong pride in the mentality of the city and the world around which he was raised.

“Competition was everything (in Chicago). It didn’t matter who you were up against, and it was important to play against a higher skill level,” Gilyard said.

In regards to his senior year, in which Gilyard exploded onto the scene averaging 17 points a game, with four rebounds, six assists and three steals, Gilyard remained humble.

“Though we fell short of state, I had a great experience. I worked hard to hone my craft and improve, and we had a very good year,” Gilyard said.

Throughout his senior year, Gilyard produced the most impressive statistics. The Chicago native posted two triple-doubles on two occasions, in a quest that resulted in a runner-up for the Illinois state championship.

He decided on UTEP after careful consideration—although his coach seemed to know where he would play college ball.

“My coach said, you’re going to commit to UTEP,” Gilyard said (after initially being offered). “I didn’t think much of it, but it turns out he was correct.”

In regards to support from his family and friends, Gilyard said that they’ve been his biggest supporters in his decision.

“My close family has really been supportive of my choice to come here. They had my back no matter what, but this is a choice that everyone is happy with,” Gilyard said.

The Miners normally don’t begin their season until October, but Gilyard will have a chance to show his abilities in August during UTEP’s Costa Rica tournament from Aug. 15-20.

The freshmen looked shifty during the pre-press conference workout and looks to help spark a Miners’ team that showed a lot of promise during stretches of the 2016-17 season.

Gilyard will join a strong team, with Matt Wilms and Omega Harris leading the charge in the upcoming season.

“I feel good about my game. I’m confident, but I’m going to work to be the best. I’m looking forward to playing with those guys (Willms and Harris) and contributing to the team in whatever way is needed,” Gilyard said.