UTEP athletics introduces 2017-18 marketing campaign

UTEP introduces its 2017-18 marketing campaign.

Mike Flores, Sports Editor

For over 100 years UTEP has stood as El Paso’s local university, and this year, UTEP athletics will celebrate their sports history by targeting community engagement with the new marketing theme, “We are Miners.”

The theme will be present and branded everywhere across the Sun City, including social media content, posters and schedule cards. “We are Miners” gear will be available at the UTEP Bookstore.

The theme is meant to enhance game days for the fans, supporters, students and everyone who enters the Sun Bowl. In the 2017-18 football season, UTEP’s food service, Sodexo, will introduce new premium burgers, chicken sandwiches, hot dogs and nachos in the Sun Bowl this fall.

UTEP’s annual “Fan Day” at the Larry K. Durham Center on Aug. 26 will be family-oriented with activities for kids such as getting the opportunity to meet and talk to the coaches and the student-athletes with an autograph session included.

UTEP fans will also get another chance to meet and greet the coaches and players at the season ticket pickup event on Aug. 4 at the Larry K. Durham Center. Attendees will be granted a tour of the Larry K. Durham Center throughout the season ticket pickup event.

There are five scheduled home games for the UTEP football team this upcoming season, and the “We are Miners” theme will be kept up with throughout each game with different factions to celebrate every time.

The home-opener against Rice on Sept. 9 is set to be “Hometown Heroes Night,” Arizona on Sept. 15 will celebrate “Military Night,” the homecoming game against Western Kentucky on Oct. 7 will be “Youth Football Night,” on Oct. 28 against UTSA will be “Spirit Night” and against La Tech for the final home game of the season, UTEP Athletics will hold “Teacher Education Night.”

After every game at the Sun Bowl, fans will also be allowed on the field.

“I love all the changes that are being made, especially allowing the kids to get down on the turf. I remember when my kids would run on the field when I was an assistant here, and there’s not a better feeling than watching the kids run on the field,” head coach Sean Kugler said.

For the first time since 1977, UTEP’s home schedule will feature a Pac-12 school, Arizona. The Miners will also tussle against a potential top-5 school in the nation, Oklahoma. And, they will matchup against both 2016 C-USA division champions WKU and La Tech.

“There’s a lot of exciting things happening this fall. I love the fans of El Paso; you’re passionate and we enjoy your support. We are going to need that support. We are going looking to prove that we belong in Conference USA and in a bowl game. They are going to everything possible to make that happen,” Kugler said. “I think Miner fans will enjoy this schedule. There’s two ways to look at this schedule—a hard one or a challenging one. We look at it as a challenge.”

The marketing theme’s inspiration came from the tight community El Paso brings. With top-three averages on attendance for both the football and men’s basketball program among the conference, “We are Miners” is still seeking to do more for the fans. Needless to say, the team’s performances will have a lot to do with the fan turnout, as well.

“The goal is for the fan experience, the inclusion of our fans and encouraging them to get back with great times and great experiences awaiting them. Every game will have promotions,” UTEP athletic director Bob Stull said.

About the Photographer
  • UTEP athletics introduces 2017-18 marketing campaign

President reflects on tenure as her last semester comes to a close

DesignHaus highlights seniors

Grateful for these moments

Graduate to end season with tourney success

Vania Castillo strides into the future

See you later, UTEP

Leadership Award recipient is devoted to UTEP community, leadership

I was never good at headlines… adios, Prospy

Graduate Amy Miller masters the cello

The Prospector helped me use my creativity toward my degree