May the Fourth be with you

Special to The Prospector

May the fourth is with us. For those of you who don’t know what that means, allow me to explain. May 4 is the official/unofficial Star Wars Day. Just a day to celebrate one of the most successful ongoing movie franchises in history. How did this come to be? Well, it all originated from a pun. The holiday started in 1979, after Margaret Thatcher became Britain’s first woman prime minister.

To celebrate her win, her party took a half page of advertising space in the London Evening News where they wrote, “May the Fourth Be With You, Maggie. Congratulations.” This was the first grand public display of the impact of Star Wars.

Not long after, fans all around the world started connecting May 4 with the franchise. Star Wars is easily one of the most recognizable franchises in film history.

The first six live-action Star Wars movies were all released in May, so it’s fitting to have the unofficial holiday in the same month. It’s also the birth month of Star Wars creator, George Lucas.

Even though the holiday didn’t originate from George Lucas or the creators of the films, the film company, StarWars.com and all official Star Wars’ social media channels recognize the fan-created holiday and has even spread the word on fan events that happen on that day.

UTEP junior international business major, Gavin Reyes, celebrates every year by rewatching his favorite films of the franchise while wearing his favorite Star Wars gear.

“The day is just a day of happiness. Star Wars is an amazing memory and part of my life. The day just normally is nothing but happy to me,” Reyes said.

Not everyone who likes Star Wars celebrates or even celebrates the same way. The franchise has expanded so largely that there’s more than just the films to commemorate. Sophomore mechanical engineer major, Joel Viescas, is not a fan of the movies, but does enjoy playing the Star Wars video game, “Battlefront.”

“I don’t like the movies a lot, but the video games are great. I do acknowledge it (May the Fourth) and I think it’s pretty cool, but I don’t really celebrate,” Viescas said.

The following day has recently become a separate Star Wars holiday, created by fans. It is referred to as “Revenge of the Fifth.” A pun on “Revenge of the Sith.” This day is celebrated by joining the dark side.

For those new to the holiday, welcome, and may the force be with you. Many businesses in El Paso will be hosting Star Wars Day celebrations on May 4.

FabLab: Coding Droids-

FabLab is hosting a Star Wars themed social. They will be having an introductory course on coding and computer science. The objective is to learn to control two droids, R2D2 and BB8, with coding phrases. The event starts at 6 p.m. at 601 N. Oregon St. Tickets are $10.

Fan Art Extravaganza-

BarMen Kitchen & Patio Bar is having a celebration in honor of Star Wars Day. Starting at 6 p.m. they will have a Star Wars trivia game, Estar Guars Loteria, fan art and costume contest and they will be playing the films all night. BarMen is located at 4130 N. Mesa St.

Let the Wookie Win-

The Alamo Drafthouse will be hosting Let the Wookie win: a Star Wars quiz. The quiz will be related to the Star Wars episodes IV through VII and Rogue One. Registration is required beforehand. Teams may not exceed six players. Registration fee is $5 per player, and the event starts at 8 p.m.

Star Wars Night-

Boomtown is having their second annual Star Wars night. They will be screening three of the movies, starting with Episode V, “The Empire strikes Back.” There will also be a cosplay contest with cash prizes. The event will take place at 501 Texas Ave. at 8 p.m.